Friday, September 23, 2011

Exciting Weekend Coming Up

We have an exciting weekend ahead! Tonight we're having a baby shower for our youth director's wife and new baby. Several of the ladies wanted to wait till after the baby was born, so we planned it for 3 weeks after the due date . . . then she went 11 days over her due date! So Baby is just 10 days old, and we will enjoy her so much. I found some free printable games at Baby Gifts and Baskets. I like pen-and-paper games better than guess-the-melted-candy-bar-in-the-diaper games, so that's what we're playing. I really didn't think our ladies would go for those yuck games, but one of them told me Monday night that she is the champ of that very diaper game that I think is so gross! I also plan to have each lady tell the one thing she most loves about being a mother, to encourage S. in this new life she's entering. She got so much advice during her pregnancy that I think she's all adviced out; telling what we love most should be more of an encouragement, don't you think? We're also having cupcakes from CupCasions, since cupcakes are the thing to do right now, and several ladies are bringing snack foods. I have a bit more shopping to wrap up tomorrow and then I'll be ready.

Also today, the evangelist for our upcoming Fall Revival will arrive, along with his wife and son. Revival starts officially on Sunday morning (the meetings, that is), but Bro. Randy Chovan will meet with our men Saturday night for a special time of prayer and a challenge just for them. The meetings will run through Wednesday night. Bro. and Mrs. Chovan are staying in the guest suite in our condo building, which is right around the corner from our suite. I think this setup will work well. The Chovans will have a private place to sleep and unwind each night, but they can eat meals with us in our suite and feel free to come and go as they please.

I bought groceries yesterday for the week. Planning for 3 more people had me spending more than I usually do on groceries, and I qualified for the free item offered for spending a certain amount - a turkey! You have to understand that turkeys are not cheap here like they are in the US. The average 15-lb. turkey costs around $25.00. So this was a nice extra! Think it's a bit early for turkeys? Think again! Canada celebrates Thanksgiving on the second Monday in October, which is only 2 weeks from this coming Monday. After 7 years I'm still not ready for Thanksgiving in October. I saw cranberry sauce on the front store display the other day and thought, "That's getting a little ahead for Thanksgiving!" and then realized it was only 3 weeks away! I have tried to get my mind in gear for it this year, but I keep forgetting!

Our menu for the week includes grilled burgers, a brunch of quiche, rolls, and fruit on Sunday, roast beef, King Ranch Chicken, and spaghetti. I have desserts on the menu too, which is not the norm for us. Why do we always have desserts when guests arrive?! I'm planning pound cake with berries and real whipped cream, the old standby Striped Delight (I made that oodles of times when the kids were little!), apple crisp with ice cream, brownies, and cookies. Some friends gave us 2 bags of shredded zucchini last night, so I made a batch of Chocolate Zucchini Bread this evening. Looks like we're all set in the food department.

If you think of it, please pray for our revival. We know several people who need to be saved, and I know of at least one person who needs revival - me!

Have a great weekend! I'll be back on Monday with Sunday in Review!

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of that diaper game. Ewwww!!!

    I love the idea of sharing what we enjoy about being mothers. I'll have to keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly will be praying for your revival - we are enjoying our annual missions conference...such a highlight of the year! Revivals are a close second:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin