Friday, August 05, 2011

The Place

Thank you all for your kind comments on Andrew’s posts from the past week. He said he appreciated the comments and that you seemed to enjoy his entries, but that he also is glad he wrote down all his memories for his own sake. I agreed that the memories were worth being down in black and white. It was the trip of a lifetime, and he should remember it all his life.

I told you on Sunday that we had gotten the condo we looked at on Saturday. We signed the lease yesterday. We got to go back in now that the former tenant had all her furniture out, and looked the place over. I love it! The kitchen is far bigger and nicer than I expected from a condo that we could afford. It is a galley style, with deep, wide base cabinets on each side. The upper cabinets are more shallow, but there are plenty of them. The kitchen also has a pantry that spans the width of the room, at the back of the kitchen. So there is plenty of kitchen storage and counter space, which is a wonderful thing, considering I like to cook and do so every day.

The living room is a bit small, much smaller than the one we have now. I’m having to sell my favourite chair, because it just won’t fit. We have a large sofa and loveseat. I like large. I like to feel like I’m engulfed by my couch when I sit on it. We’re also going to have to creatively arrange our bookcases. I really wish I had the money to put all my books on my Nook reader. It would be neat if there was a way to prove that you already owned the books in your library and you could transfer them to your e-reader at no charge.

We have 2 bedrooms and 2 baths. The master bathroom has a separate shower and tub, and the second bath has only a shower. We also have a laundry room with a full size washer and dryer. And we have a patio. The agent for the owner heard us talking about getting patio furniture yesterday and offered to sell us her set for $50. She said her husband keeps fussing because she never uses it, so she might as well sell it. We said we’d like to see a picture of it, and will probably take it if it’s in good shape.

There’s a small fitness room in the building, as well as a TV room with a wide-screen TV, underground parking, a small courtyard with a patio area, and a guest suite. I’m glad for the guest suite, because we can have guest preachers, missionaries, visiting friends, and family stay there. The only catch is that the stay is limited to 3 days. I’m hoping there’s a way to extend, but if not, we’ll work out something. We’re considering getting a futon or sofa bed, too, but that will have to wait a while.

Across the street from our building is a branch of the pharmacy I use and a branch of the local library. My doctor is three blocks away. Most of our church members are within five minutes, some as close as two blocks. There are several thrift stores within walking distance, as well as a Starbucks and a Tim Horton’s (the Canadian equivalent of Dunkin Donuts). So it looks like we’re all set! ;)

I have some pictures to share, but my computer is having issues right now and I’m typing this on another computer. I hope to get all that resolved within the next day or two.

Andrew arrives tomorrow evening to spend the week with us and help with our Vacation Bible School. I’m excited about having him home, but it will be an all-too-short week! He has to get right back to Lancaster next weekend in order to attend a staff orientation week (he works for Lancaster Baptist Church).

After VBS is a week of family camp, and we will begin moving the week after that. So it’s a busy month for us. I’ll post when I can, but it might not be too often. I will definitely post pictures of VBS!

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful! So happy for you. Praying for a successful VBS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great place, Pamela! Thank for praying for our VBS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin