Friday, July 01, 2011

Happy Canada Day!

Six years ago today, I wrote my first real blog post. It was Canada Day, 2005, and we had been in Canada less than a year. That first post was a bit cynical about Canadians’ love of their country as shown by their celebration – or what I considered their lack thereof – of the birth of their nation. Having lived here now for over six years, I can see that Canadians do indeed love their country, especially when it comes to sporting events. Especially hockey. I’ll never forget Canada’s win over the US for the gold medal during the 2010 Olympics! Or watching the Vancouver Canucks fight all the way to Game 7 of the 2011 Stanley Cup finals.

canadian-flag-blowing-in-the-wind-23441288987691KnC

What I have found is that Canadians aren’t Americans.

Yes, we Americans get excited about our history and our freedom, as well we should. I am still proud to be an American.

I’ve learned, though, that love of country doesn’t have to be expressed on said country’s Independence Day by fireworks and parades and band concerts, or by waving flags and singing patriotic songs. It doesn’t even have to be expressed by a hand over the heart during the National Anthem. All those things are expressions of patriotism, but not necessarily the only expressions.

I’ve found Canadian love of country in the light of someone’s eyes when they ask if I like living here and I enthusiastically answer, “Yes!”

It’s in their voices when they sing their national anthem, maybe not as exuberantly as Americans sing theirs, but with just as much heart.

I see it in every red poppy worn each November in memory of those Canadians who gave their lives in past and current wars.

remembrance day

I see it at the big-city and small-town Remembrance Day parades, as people stand reverently by as veterans march past – or roll past in their wheelchairs.

I see love for this country in the acceptance of other nationalities and the pride Canadians take in being a true melting-pot of the world.

I see it in those immigrants’ faces as they become Canadian citizens themselves.

I’ve grown to love this country and these people. I pray that God will allow us to live out our lives here. It’s not a perfect country, but neither is the US. Many things concern us politically and socially, and there’s definitely a famine of the Word of God.

So maybe Canada’s birthday isn’t celebrated quite as loudly as America’s, but it is celebrated and she is loved by her people. And by our family.

Happy Canada Day!

10 comments:

  1. godbless canada!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you've learned these things about our country!
    One comment....when I was in school we were taught to stand at attention while singing O Canada. I'd never heard of putting your hand on your heart until I met Americans. Tonight, most of our city will be out enjoying the Canada Day celebrations....and fighting off mosquitoes!! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post! Isn't it amazing how we can think one thing and then time passes and we see the conclusions we drew were not entirely accurate....

    Congratulations on blogging for 6 years, WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. tejan ~ Yes, indeed! God bless Canada and keep her strong and free!

    Deb ~ I thought it was SO awful that Canadians didn't put their hand over their heart during the national anthem! LOL Funny how we have different perspectives depending on where we grew up. We're having a church picnic today. Have fun swatting those mosquitos! ;)

    Michelle ~ Yes, I'm quite often having to change my perceptions of people and things! I can't believe I've been blogging for 6 years! I'm thinking about changing things up a bit - rearrange the furniture, so to speak - and focus a bit more on the blog since the kids are all out of the house now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Canada Day!

    I think we think Canada is the country most like ours, and yet there are differences.

    I love my country, but I don't really like a lot of hoopla, either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son is wearing his Canada Shirt today in honor of Canada Day. It has been signed by his favorite Christian Music Group who happens to be from Canada. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great post! I know Americans don't think we're as patriotic as we could be, but Canadians are very loyal.

    We're at a camp meeting in Montana, so we'll miss the fireworks, but we did bring a Canadian flag for our car!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am just stopping by to say hello. I hope you had a wonderful Canada Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm *so glad* to hear that you'll soon be able to blog more often. I understand why you couldn't before but how lovely that you'll be able to now. (o:

    Oh! And you were the very first IFB blog I found when I first started reading blogs and I was *thrilled* to find you.

    Blessings my friend!
    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barbara ~ One of the most common misconceptions about Canada is that Canadians are just Americans a little farther north! ;)

    Becky ~ How nice that your son is celebrating Canada Day too! :)

    Jocelyn ~ It doesn't matter that Americans think Canadians aren't patriotic! I've found them to be very loyal to their country. Enjoy the camp meeting!

    Miss Linda ~ Thanks for stopping by! We had a great day.

    Michelle ~ I hope to get into a more predictable writing schedule soon. Thanks for being so encouraging! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin