Sunday, June 19, 2011

An Update - Finally!

Well, hello! I know it's been a shamefully long time since I updated my blog. Even my daughter texted me the other day and said, "You haven't written on your blog lately!"

I haven't been overly busy. I guess I just haven't had a lot to say. Make that "to say online," because I haven't noticed any lack of words to say in real life! LOL The days are going well and life is good - praise the Lord!

I thought I'd update you on how things are going at church. This month our emphasis is on soulwinning. In case that term is unfamiliar to you, it's just another name for witnessing. We get the term 'soulwinning' from Proverbs 11:30 - "The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise." My husband has been preaching and teaching on Sundays about soulwinning: the reasons we need to be witnessing to people, the hindrances to soulwinning, the reasons we don't win souls. All these sermons are very convicting, and I have prayed many times in the past few weeks for the Lord to stir my heart for souls and give me boldness to witness to others. You see, I love to talk to people, but one of the hardest things in the world for me to do is to go into their space (aka knocking on their door!) and speak to them of spiritual things. Once I know they at least don't object to my inviting them to church and talking just a bit about church-going and 'religious' things, then I am more comfortable. Here in our area of Canada, most people are not willing to talk about spiritual things, so I don't really get to broach the subject very often. So the Lord is growing me and stretching me, and I'm learning new ways to talk to people. I'm finding that it's best just to be myself - deep southern accent and all - and let the Lord do the work.

You'd be amazed how this southern accent of mine attracts attention and allows me to laugh with people and talk a bit about how we came to Canada - laughing is really an ice-breaker! When I tell them why we moved to Canada (for my husband to pastor a church), it opens the door right up to speak of church. The very thing I am most self-conscious about - my accent - is the very thing that allows me to introduce spiritual things.

So, since this is soulwinning month, we've started a couple of extra soulwinning times: a ladies' time on Tuesday mornings and a men's time on Thursday nights, in addition to our regular church-wide time on Saturday mornings. I've had two ladies go with me on Tuesday mornings this month. We've actually had pretty good success getting to talk to people, by Canadian standards! The first week, we met a Filipina lady named Melanie who just moved to Kelowna and was looking for a church family. She's been coming the past two weeks and has really been a joy to us as we've gotten to know her. I've thoroughly enjoyed this ladies' time of soulwinning! We've had fun together, gotten to know each other better, and enjoyed talking to people. One of the ladies is fearless when it comes to talking to people, and she loves to talk to people just walking down the street. She's good at it! So I'm learning from her. The other lady and I are more reserved. The important thing is that we're out there planting the precious Seed of the Word! God uses each person's strengths in His own way!

This week, our assistant pastor's wife and I are going to a Pastors' Wives retreat in eastern BC on Kootenay Lake. We're so excited! The atmosphere is casual, so no high heels or nylons! We're wearing denim skirts all week! LOL We will be taught by pastors' wives who have been in the ministry for many years. We'll have fellowship together that we don't normally have because usually when we're together we're busy working. We'll see friends in the ministry we only see occasionally, and in my case, I'm meeting a fellow blogger/pastor's wife that I've never met 'in real life.' I'm also planning to get up and spend some extra time in prayer and the Word, sitting by the lake in the quiet early morning. I've never been to anything like this just for pastors' wives, and I'm so looking forward to it! It's a long way over there, about 6 hours one-way, so I'd appreciate your prayers on Tuesday as we drive over. Sarah, our assistant's wife, is expecting their first baby and has been sick during the entire pregnancy, so please pray for her too. Her 'morning sickness' has yet to subside completely, even though she's 6 months along! And seriously, pray that the Lord will work in all our hearts this week so that we'll come home different women, better wives, and better servants to the people we minister to. I know there are some personal things I'm praying for for myself, and I'm sure the other ladies are doing the same.

I plan to get back to regular posting in the near future. Thanks for sticking with me!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad things are going well for you. I pray that God will bless the seeds you are planting for souls there in Canada. Have a lovely week! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin