Sunday, May 29, 2011

A Sweet Sunday

We had an awesome day today! First of all, it was so good to be back home and in our place at church. We enjoyed seeing all our church family again, hugging them and asking how everything went while we were gone. The special music this morning, sung by one of our families, was one of my favorite songs, so I enjoyed that a lot. Then Wes preached about Elijah and how he was a man just like us - very human - taking us through all the terribly human moments in Elijah's life. But then in James, God called Elijah a righteous man. And God answered his prayers. How encouraging for us to know that God still hears and answers our prayers even though we are so very human!

Right before we left for our trip, I talked to a bus mom on visitation who was having a very hard time with some of the circumstances of her life. She very honestly told me that she was pretty much ticked off at God for some of the things that have happened to her. I had no ready answers for her that night, as she was not at all responsive to the Gospel, but I did tell her I'd be praying for her while I was on vacation. She had been to church with her kids a couple of times on Wednesday night, which was a giant step for her to even walk into a church. Long story short, she has been coming to some of the services while we were gone, and she came this morning! I was so thrilled to see her at church, and she was smiling. I'm so excited to see God work in her life, and I continue to pray for her. 

This evening, we had our first Preachfest. That's when any of the men who would like to, have 10-15 minutes to give a devotional thought or preach a short message. Wes likes to do these on months that have 5th Sundays. Two of our men brought short messages, and both of them spoke to my heart. We also had a missionary family, and the missionary got to present their work and preach for a few minutes. His sermon was great too. This family is special to our church for a couple of reasons. One is that many of our people know them personally; they are out of a church, about 4 hours away, that we fellowship with regularly. The other is that they are on deputation to come to Vernon, BC, a town about an hour from here that has a fundamental Baptist church that was started by another missionary who had to leave (through no fault of his own). That church has been without a pastor for about a year now, and this missionary is coming to pastor there. We are so thrilled to be having someone nearby! We plan to help them with tract distribution and soulwinning when they get moved here. We'll have a sister church just an hour away!

After church we had a fellowship with sandwiches, chips, fruit, cookies, etc. And cake. Because last Monday was Wes' birthday! :) There was also a gift from the church. The whole time we were in the US, Wes kept looking at iPads - and wanting one really bad - but he wouldn't buy one because it just wasn't on the top of his priority list or in the budget. So tonight, when he pulled the tissue paper out of the top of the gift bag, he saw a box with an apple on it with a bite taken out . . . yes, our church family had bought that man an iPad! I had nothing to do with it, either. I only had an inkling of a hint that they were even considering it. So I was surprised and very pleased too! He is happily doing whatever you do to an iPad when you first get it as I type. He's such a gadget guy! LOL

Well, that was our day. It was a good one. Although we're tired, we just both had fun today. Wes said he had fun preaching, and I had fun playing music and fellowshipping with friends and watching my husband receive a wonderful, thoughtful gift. Tomorrow starts a new week! Make it a good one! :)

4 comments:

  1. So glad you had wonderful trip. I will join you in praying for the lady you mentioned.
    Happy belated Birthday to your Sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday to your hubby! What a sweet gift!

    I like that Preachfest idea.

    How neat to have a sister church fairly close.

    So glad the bus mom is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your trip went well, and what a great update...that's wonderful news that you'll have another church nearby.
    Belated happy birthday to your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so blessed to have such a loving, wonderful church family!!

    I will keep the bus mom in my prayers!

    Btw...I have been reading for awhile - I just don't comment! ;-) You have been a huge influence on me using the KJV. I have always used an NASB, ESV etc. Now I have 1917 Scofield KJV of my own. Thank you for your blog ministry!

    (I am a ministers wife, also - have been since 1990!)

    Bless you, Sister!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin