Saturday, May 14, 2011

Pondering

Wes and I had a good day of driving today. We spent about six hours on the road driving from Lancaster, CA, to Flagstaff, AZ. The weather was perfect! We stopped in Needles, CA, for lunch, just before the state line, and it was over 90 degrees there, but Flagstaff was much cooler, around 70, by the time we arrived. We saw a lot of . . . nothing . . . today. Most of the land was desert, with those rocks and mountains you see in Road Runner cartoons! ;)

We said our goodbyes to Beth and Andrew last night. It was difficult to tell our baby girl goodbye, knowing we won't see her again till at least Christmas. She and I cried as Wes prayed, then we hugged and cried . . . then we laughed, because Andrew just has to make people laugh! LOL He came up with all kinds of things to say while we were getting ready to leave to keep us laughing instead of crying. What would I do without that boy???

My eyes insisted on continuing to overflow all the way back to our hotel and a little this morning. I texted Beth as we were pulling out of the hotel, and she said she still felt a little weepy, but she was ok. So then I cried for a few minutes. It's amazing how much grace the Lord gives when you need it, though. I miss my daughter, and it hurts not to have her with me anymore, but growth and change are part of life, and it is good and right.

Thursday night, as I was checking my email, I received my Today's Thought message, which had this verse in it: "And all thy children shall be taught of the LORD; and great shall be the peace of thy children." Isaiah 54:13  I had asked the Lord for something special from Him as I opened that email, and I just had to rejoice over his provision for me! Great shall be the peace of my children! My daughter may shed some tears (as will I) but she will have great peace.


The next morning, which was yesterday, when we'd be saying goodbye to the kids, I saw these two verses posted on a couple more Facebook statuses:
Neh 8:10 Then he said unto them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our Lord: neither be ye sorry; FOR THE JOY OF THE LORD IS YOUR STRENGTH
"The LORD will give strength unto his people; the LORD will bless his people with peace." - Psalm 29:11
 Now how can I doubt that I and my children will have peace and joy in the days ahead??? I'm not foolish enough to think there won't be times when we miss each other and cry for each other, but in the midst of it all, God is there, reassuring our hearts. 
 So the Lord has been good! We've had a week of busy days and high emotions. I have lots of things to ponder in my heart, lots of pictures to look at, lots of memories. It's definitely been one of the high points of our life, and we're so thankful for everything about it. Now I'm on a trip with my best friend - who has stayed my best friend through our child-rearing years - and I think we're going to enjoy this stage of our life together just as much as all the others we've come through. On around the next bend . . .

10 comments:

  1. Susan, I've been praying for you this week. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this post reminded me so much of the tearful goodbyes as we left my brother, and later my sister, at Hyles-Anderson. How I missed them, especially my sister. My room was so lonely without her. I will never forget how hard that change was for me. Needless to say, I'm dreading the day when my children leave home. So thankful for HIS grace! Hope you enjoy your road trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning, Susan ~ I'm reading your post on a Sunday morning, and it's making ME weepy! I could just picture the scene with Wes praying and you and Beth hugging and crying. I will have to keep all of your family in my prayers these next days. The Lord definitely does give grace to get us through these times--loved the verses that He sent just when you needed them! Have a safe trip home and enjoy the rest of your time away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah ~ Thank you so much for your prayers! I've felt them!

    Valerie ~ My best advice for dreading that day when your children leave home is to treasure every day while they are still home. Although I miss them terribly at times, I know they are in God's will, and that makes it all worth it!

    Deb ~ I didn't mean to make you cry! LOL Thank you for praying for me, and please continue. I've been a little weepy again today, but still hanging in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Susan. It was a real blessing reading this, and since I know how you talk, it was if you were saying it right in from of me. Very precious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will be praying for you. . .all of you. Please know your post was a blessing and I plan on passing it on to my mom who is facing the "complete" empty nest syndrome. Her baby is getting married in three months. I know it will be a blessing to her too! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angela ~ Then you heard my southern accent loud and clear! ;)

    Sandra ~ Praying for your mom! I hope the verses will be a help for her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was such a touching post, dear Susan. You were courageous to be so candid. I know this must be a curious time of transition for you and for your whole family, but I am certain you will handle it with faith and grace!

    Your mention of your husband was so sweet. I sincerely pray that your best days together are just beginning!

    Let the parade of grandchildren commence! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I know the experience. Leaving my son at Heartland Baptist Bible college last fall was very hard and then two weeks before that I helped my daughter move to Batesville, AR to start her new life as an adult after college. In a few weeks she will be moving to Seattle, WA for a year at least. It is hard to let them go but we must always cut the apron strings and let them grow up. I still watch home movies and weep tho.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Miss Linda ~ Thank you for your sweet comments! My husband and I are finding adjustments we need to make - praise the Lord for His Spirit to guide us and help us keep our hearts together.

    Tammy ~ Letting my children go has been the hardest thing I've had to do as a mother, no doubt about it. I'll see how well I do when we get home! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin