Friday, May 06, 2011

On the Road

Hello from rainy, gray, dreary Oregon! Yes, we're making our way south to the high desert of California. We left yesterday morning (Thursday) about 7:00. We had planned for 6:00 - but you know how that goes. We have some friends staying in our house part of the time we're gone, so naturally I had to leave the house clean, with clean sheets on the bed and things like that that you can only do right before you leave. Wes and Beth helped, though, and I did everything I could on Wednesday, so it wasn't a huge job. Before we left town we went to McDonald's to pick up breakfast and to the library to return some books that were due that day (oops!).

We have driven through some beautiful country the past two days. We went straight south from Kelowna and drove king of catty-corner across Washington to Oregon and eventually to Interstate 5. The primary feature of the land in lower BC and Washington is fruit - tons of orchards of all kinds and vineyards. They're beautiful this time of year with the trees blooming! The western side of Oregon between Portland and Medford is absolutely gorgeous - rich, rolling hills, little farms nestled in the valleys - I just loved it.

Because Oregon has no sales tax, we spent the first half of today shopping in the Portland area. Beth needed some new clothes, and we bought Sam's graduation gift. No telling what that was till after the weekend though! ;) Before we left our hotel this morning, Wes went to check out the breakfast in the lobby. When he came back, he said I HAD to go down there; the assistant manager brings his dog in every day, and it's an English bulldog. I adore English bulldogs! So I ran down there and there she was! Her name is June, and she is 3 weeks into her next litter of little bullies! She was quite active and wouldn't let me love on her like I wanted to, but Wes did get a couple of pictures of her. I love her!

JunetheBully1
This was the closest we could get to a picture of her face. When she first saw Wes with the camera, she barked at him! LOL

JunetheBully2
This one is blurry because she just wouldn't be still! Wes ran all over that room trying to get a picture of her. She really loved turning her back to him.

The other neat thing that happened at the hotel this morning is that we saw a bus from a church that we knew to be a church of like faith to ours, loading up with baseball players. Wes asked who they were playing, and it was another church that we know! Anyway, we have some friends whose daughters attend this school, so Wes asked the man in charge if he knows these girls. Christy, if you're reading this - I thought much of you this morning!

Our drive this afternoon was rainy. At one point, traffic was very heavy, and suddenly people began braking and swerving onto the left shoulder, and Wes had to slam on the brakes. He guided our car over to the shoulder with all the other cars. It was a hairy little moment, but all was well. We never did figure out what the problem was, other than a state trooper having a couple of cars pulled over. Why that would cause everyone to slam on the brakes, I have no idea. I'm just glad none of the cars around us were involved in an accident. Praise the Lord for His protection!

Tomorrow will be a long day of driving . . . but at the end, we'll see our boys! I tell you, I am beyond excited about this coming week! There was one point today when I could barely contain myself! LOL Sunday is church . . . on Mother's Day . . . with all 3 of my children. Then dinner for all 5 of us. Sunday night we'll be going to one of our supporting churches in the Lancaster area. Monday through Wednesday have lots of highlights, the high point being Sam's graduation on Wednesday morning. Many of the events will be live-streamed; you can find a schedule of graduation week events at the West Coast Baptist College website. That is, if you care to watch any of them! ;)

Please say a prayer for a lady I met today. She was our cashier at Sears. Her name is Robbie, and this will be her first Mother's Day without her son. He passed away suddenly last fall at the age of 48. I told her I'd be praying for her this Sunday. Would you join me in praying for her? I hope each of you mothers have a wonderful Mother's Day on Sunday!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice trip! Of course a lovely dog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to "steal" your verse, as for me and my house. Let me know if you do not want to let me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have a lovely Mother's Day weekend lined up! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day with all your children together! Praying for you in your travels:0)
    Happy Graduation to your son!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Susan, I am so happy you will be with all three of your kids! Sadly Syd will not be here but I know one day soon I too will have my babies together again with me.

    I will also be praying for you as you say bye to Beth. I can still remember how hard it was to leave my girl!

    Lots of prayers going your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to stop by and wish you a joyous and blessed Mother's Day, dear Susan! I truly enjoyed reading about your trip and hope to hear more about the remaining part of your journey.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin