Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Today's My Birthday!

I hope this doesn't come across as tooting my own horn, but today is my birthday. I'm past the middle of my forties, headed toward the 50 mark now. Amazing, isn't it? This age seemed much older than I feel now that I've reached it! I still feel like the same girl I've always been. The body is a little less cooperative than it used to be, but I'm very glad that I'm still young and in good health - other than being a little too sweet for my own good, at least! For those who might now know, I am not so much sweet in personality as in my blood; I have type 2 diabetes, and my running joke is that I'm too sweet for my own good. Hence the reason I'm thankful that I'm still healthy and all that, because I know very well that it could be much worse than it is.

Wes and Beth took me out to breakfast at Denny's this morning. Did you know you can get a free meal on your birthday at Denny's? You do have to prove it with your ID! Today is the last day of our Missions Conference, and at lunch, Wes came from upstairs carrying a huge birthday cake! They all sang Happy Birthday and I ate a tiny piece of cake with everyone. There is a lot left, so we'll offer it to anyone who wants some after church tonight.

I guess my age is catching up to me, because I put two crockpots of Egg Noodle Lasagna on to cook this morning and forgot to plug one of them in. So at 11:00, when I was getting ready to go to the church for lunch, one of my lasagnas was stone cold! We threw it in the oven at church while everyone ate from the other one . . . and found that we didn't need that extra one after all! So now I have one to go in the freezer.

I've been thinking today of some things I'm thankful for on my birthday . . .

I'm thankful that my mother, who was a diabetic, decided not to worry about the possible complications of pregnancy for a diabetic and have a baby anyway.

I'm thankful that my Daddy got saved when I was 6 years old and raised me in a Christian home.

I'm thankful for God bringing Wes Hutchens into my life when I was 16. He has been the most wonderful husband I could have asked for!

I'm thankful for the gifts of three precious children, who are now grown up and still serving the Lord of their own free will. They are the most precious gifts I've ever been given, aside from my salvation.

I'm thankful that God never quit dealing with my heart and waited for me to realize I needed to simply trust Him for my salvation.

I'm thankful that God has put us into the ministry. I can't imagine doing anything else with our lives!

I'm thankful for all the friends and family members I've heard from today. I've been abundantly blessed with special people in my life!

And I'm thankful for each of you who read my ramblings. You have been a blessing to me!

14 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Susan! May God richly bless you in the coming year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Susan! I hope you have a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday!!! I hope this next year in your life will be your best year yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to you! : )

    May the Lord abundantly bless you as you and your family serve Him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! I'll always remember it now that I know it because it's the day after Jun's. He was mourning 32!! Thank you for your blog. You are inspiring. Thank you for your godliness, you are one of the people I think of that I mentioned in my blog today. Happy, happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happiest of birthday blessings to you, Susan!! Thank God for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope your day was extra special yesterday!! Such a nice way to spend your day - with your family (and a little cake!) and counting your blessings!

    My son's birthday was the day before:) and those days are perfect times to reflect on how good God is to us.

    My pastor was in Canada earlier this week (Mon and Tues) preaching for a Bible conference. He came home with the best report - it was a great conference!! He said, "God is really doing something in Canada.." and I thought of you, your family and church! Prayed for you last night - so just dropping by to say so and to say hello.

    Oh - he was at Faithway (in Ontario, I believe)....are you familiar with it?? I was wondering if your husband might have attended but I see you were in the middle of Missions Conference:).

    Have a great Thursday - God bless, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you had a GREAT birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you had such a nice day! Glad also everything worked out with the lasagna dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Susan! Sounds like your day was special. (o:

    Oh and I would LOVE to know the recipe for your lasagna. (o:

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susan ~ I can't believe that I didn't stop by your blog yesterday!!! I am so sorry that I missed wishing you a Happy Birthday!! I hope you had a wonderfully special day...because YOU are special!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Belated Happy birthday! Sorry I missed it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin