Monday, March 07, 2011

Sunday in Review: March 6, 2011

We had a good weekend at church. Nothing super exciting, but not dull, either! ;) Just a normal week. We did start our King James Bible Conference yesterday. This year marks the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible, so Wes is taking this week to teach us how the King James Bible came into existence and why we believe it is the preserved Word of God for English-speaking people. This will be a low-key conference; the services will be mainly a teaching time for the people rather than a full-blown revival-type meeting. I'm looking forward to the teaching. Wes is using materials from Faith Baptist Church in Tacoma, WA, a very well-done commemorative set of teaching tools. He would like to get into the schools sometime within the next year to present these lessons from a historical point of view.

As part of our month-long focus on the Bible, Wes is teaching on Wednesday nights from Psalm 119 (these will continue even after this month), and as a side project, he has the church memorizing Psalm 119. Adults vs. children. We have to say the verses word-perfect (two helps allowed), in sets of eight, just as they are divided in the Bible. We're learning as many as we can through the end of March, then turning in our verses said to see who won. Now, I don't know about you, but when you challenge me to do something, I'm bound and determined to do it. And I am bound and determined to memorize this Psalm! I may be 40-something years old, but my brain is still there. At least, that's what I'm telling the children! ;) We started yesterday, and I've already said my first set of eight verses, so I feel like I'm doing ok. We'll see tonight if any children said any verses today.

Any takers here on memorizing Psalm 119 during the month of March??? The verses are short, and many of them have a nice flow to them, making them easy to memorize.

2 comments:

  1. Our church is trying to memorize Ps. 119 too, but we have a year to do it - about 4 verses a week.

    I'm having a difficult time because there are so many words like statutes, judgments, ways, etc, and sometimes the verses jump from one thought to another. I basically read and say them over and over until it comes naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jocelyn ~ A whole year! I guarantee you all will remember these verses far better than we will, learning them in just one month. I'm already seeing that I'm going to have to review the previous verses every day to keep them fresh in my mind. And I'm with you on the statutes, judgments, ways, etc!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin