Friday, February 25, 2011

My First Crafty Finish for 2011!!!


I'm so excited to finally be finished with the baby quilt! I put the last stitch in the binding this morning, then washed and dried it and took pictures. It will go in the mail either this afternoon or tomorrow morning. I love how it turned out. I learned a lot about cutting and piecing accurately, making bias binding, practicing making bias binding (!), and machine quilting.

The most important thing I learned is to practice new-to-you techniques on cheap fabric that you're not planning to use for anything else! I had a cute little stripe in the fabric line I used that I was going to bind the quilt with. It was going to pull the whole thing together. But I'd never made bias binding before. Can you believe I just jumped into it without trying it out first? That's exactly what I did, and I ruined about half of my binding strip. I thought, "No problem; I'll just go buy some more of that stripe." I got to the fabric shop, and you guessed it - there was no more of that stripe! So I bought more of the green dot and used that instead. It's still cute, but it's not what I had wanted to use at all. Lesson learned.

DSC00273
Here's the finished product, held up by my daughter.

DSC00274
Here's a view of the back. I love looking at quilt backs, but I hope no real quilters will ever see this one! LOL

DSC00264-1
My solution for no binding clips? Bobby pins!

I'm linking up with Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict on her Friday Linky. Be sure to head over there and see what others have done this week, and if you have anything to add, do that too . . . 'cause she's having a giveaway!

16 comments:

  1. Hello Susan,
    This is absolutely precious! I just love the colors and the material that you chose.You did such a nice job...I'm sure it will be treasured for many years to come!

    Have a blessed weekend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great to me. Good job on jumping in. Yes, I think we all learn alot quicker by our mistakes. Too bad about the fabric but this turned out really cute. Congrats on the first finish of the year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Susan, it is so very lovely. I just know little Edward Job will enjoy it. I can almost see him sleeping snugly under it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Susan - it's beautiful! I've messed up with fabric before too, and it's frustrating. But the quilt is absolutely gorgeous! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's gorgeous! You did such a great job on it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan,
    How beautiful. You did a great job. I am working on improving my sewing skills.
    Have a blessed weekend.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, I just had to come over and see your finished quilt and it is so beautiful! You did a great job and I love the colors! Bobby pins are a great solution too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you did a beautiful job!! I love the pattern, fabrics, and your work. You're making leaps and bounds as a quilter... you're a natural!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is just lovely. I like prairie points around the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful!!! I love the pattern and the fabrics are so nice! I consider myself a "real quilter" who happens to love the backs of quilts and yours looks perfect!!!
    GREAT job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is just darling, Susan! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoop, Whoop, it is lovely Susan, such neat colors and the back is precious, good work too, Hugs Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  13. that is absolutely adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful quilt! I really like the prairie points - something I've never tried but want to! And I really like the green binding and the way it contrasts with the back.... FYI, IMHO, "real quilters" are the ones who remember that we all started from scratch and would think the back of your quilt is a badge of honor! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Susan ~ I love it! I love the colors a lot, love the animals, really love the prairie points, and the backing is just perfect! And what a great quilt holder you have, too! :) Now...since you did such a great job, are you making several just like it for future grandbabies??

    ReplyDelete
  16. WHOOP WHOOP! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin