Friday, February 11, 2011

Making Progress


I've recently begun following Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, and she hosts a linky party every Friday to share what we've accomplished during the week. My problem, aside from laziness (!), is that I only have little spots of time to go in my craft room and sew, so my baby quilt for my friend is progressing slowly. I'll have to finish it soon, though, because Baby was due Tuesday, so he will definitely be here any day now!

I had some problems learning to make pinwheels, so I was a little discouraged for a few days. I thought and chewed on those things for a few days, tried a couple more times, and then it just clicked! I figured out how the triangles actually fit together to make the pinwheels, and I figured out . . . drumroll please . . . that they have to be cut and pieced very accurately! After that I was good to go, and finished the blocks quickly. Then I sewed all the blocks together, attached the thin inner border, made the prairie points and attached them, and got the top and bottom outer borders on. That's where I am now, but I won't have much time to sew again till tomorrow. We're having our church Sweetheart Banquet tonight!

Overall view of my quilt top - I love the green blocks separating the animal blocks!

One row of the prairie points. This is the feature I love most about this quilt.

Beth's favorite spot on the whole quilt. She has fallen in love with the giraffes!

Another view of the top. When I get the outer borders on the sides attached, the prairie points on the sides will flip outward like the ones on the top and bottom.

So there you have it! I'll be sure to post pictures when it's done, and I also want to show you what Beth made for the mama. She's made the mother a sweet little necklace with the baby's name and birthstone. Thanks for stopping by, and be sure to visit Sarah and give her a Whoop Whoop! ;)

22 comments:

  1. Such a cute quilt! I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Julia! I'm super pleased with how it's turning out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! Have fun at your banquet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is so cute! Love the prairie points and the giraffe peeking out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan ~ I am super impressed....your prairie points are great! I have NEVER done prairie points. I KNEW you could get those pinwheels to do right for ya! Can't wait to see it all finished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoop-Whoop! LOVE the quilt. It's so cute! I haven't tried pinwheels yet. I'm a bit intimidated. Your quilt is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so pretty! I love it! I'm glad you got the quilt blocks figured out, sewing is so much more pleasurable when things are turning out the way you want them to!

    I just got a new-to-me sewing machine this afternoon, and can't wait to sew something with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Susan,
    You're doing such a great job on this quilt...it is adorable! I know how difficult it is to squeeze in time for sewing...I've been cleaning out my craft loft this week...and I'm still not finished! I can't wait to get back to some of my projects.

    Have a blessed weekend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome quilt! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow..so nice quilt! I have done like this before,but it was a school project..heheh!

    this is really so nice! keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're all so encouraging - thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the giraffes too! You are doing such a great job. I am working hard to improve my accuracy too. Your quilt is going to be very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's gorgeous, Susan! I know what you mean about pinwheels - they are ticky to sew, but they look so good once you figure it out1 And I love your prairie points - I've never done them before, but really want to learn how! Maybe I'll put them on the quilt I'm working on right now - there's no time like the present to learn a new quilting skill!! Thanks for linking up - Whoop Whoop!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Susan,
    How pretty. I would love to quilt however that isn't one of my talents.
    Have a blessed week end.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, this is so cute, you did a great job! I didn't like pinwheels for a long time until I had a quilt that had about forty pinwheels in it. I just got used to making them over and over and I got over not liking them. Now, they are one of my favorite little blocks. I can't wait to see your little quilt finished. I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The prairie points are very precious indeed and the colors are so soft and sweet:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Susan - it looks great! I always thought those triangles were a challenge, and yours look wonderful.

    Those giraffes are so cute though - LOVE them!

    Were the prairie points hard? I've never tried them but they're so fun looking.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a really fun quilt! Love the pattern and the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh it looks so beautiful!! Quilting is something that I haven't yet tried. It looks a bit too advanced for me. I'm sure this quilt will be treasured for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Don't you love those light bulbs moments? This is a beautiful quilt and the prairie points are a wonderful addition! I haven't been brave enough to try them yet:)
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You all are overwhelming me with comments! Thank you all so much for your sweet words - I appreciate them all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am addicted to Pinwheels -- I can make them in my sleep! You have done a great job with yours and I just love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin