Friday, February 18, 2011

Baby's Done; Quilt is Not


Ok. Quick update on the quilt via Confessions of a Fabric Addict's Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?!

The baby is done. Little Edward Job was born Monday, Valentine's Day, about 2:30 in the afternoon. He and his mama are doing fine. I'm just so tickled that he turned out to be a Valentine's Baby! He is named after his father and for the biblical man Job who endured many trials and still served and loved the Lord. It's an unusual middle name, but it fits this family who have endured some trials along the way.

Now on to the quilt. It is sandwiched and ready to quilt. I did some looking around online and found a pinwheel quilt that had a curvy design quilted into the pinwheel blocks, so that is what I'm going to do. I'm in the process of drawing the curves into the blocks using a dish from my kitchen. I hope to get all of the quilting done this weekend so I can bind it and mail it early next week.

DSC00259
Here you can see the wavy design - the light blue lines. I think it adds a nice motion to the pinwheels.


DSC00261Here's my template! I wanted an elongated oval shape.


DSC00264I've also been practicing my free-motion quilting, and I'm actually learning a little better control! Don't look for any sort of pattern in this; it's just my doodling around with no care for how it looked.


DSC00266And this is a sneak peek of the project I'm working on for my sister. I started it about 3 weeks ago, and have only gotten a tiny bit of it done.

Sarah is having a giveaway during next Friday's Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? Be sure to go by and see how you can get an extra entry for next week's giveaway!

14 comments:

  1. Oh Susan, first congratulations on the wonderful Valentine's baby (I love his name and pray that he will grow to be a man of valor before the Lord)and second your quilts look so beautiful!!! Now I have a little better understanding of how the quilting is done. Your post actually answered some of the mystery for me.

    I absolutely *love* the maroon, cream and mint green shades in your sister's quilt. I can't wait to see how this quilt progresses.

    I have been wondering how you and your family were doing and was so happy to see a post pop up today!

    Have a wonderful weekend. Can you believe it--it is 84 degrees here right now!!!! Last week it was in the low 20's! Texas weather, sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great progress! I'm sure the family will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Linda, My prayer for the baby is the same as yours! His parents are precious people, and I believe they will raise him for the Lord. I sent you an email about my sister's project! :)

    Barbara ~ I wish I'd made more progress on it, but with going away for Valentine's and teaching a ladies' class at church on Wed. night, I just haven't had much time for the extras this week. Hopefully I'll get the quilting done this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to use that for a template. It's going to look great all quilted, I can already tell. Ha, I have lots of those FMQ practice pads laying around my sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your little man! He's going to LOVE that quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pinwheels! That baby quilt is so much fun. I love the colors and the fabrics. Beautifully done!

    Oh, and the little sneak peek of the quilt for your sister is gorgeous. Love those fabrics!

    xo -El

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great day, Susan - you have been busy! I love the projects! They're turning out beautifully.

    You're making me want to start another quilt.........and that's not a good idea right now with everything else we've got going on, lol!

    LOVE THEM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHOOP WHOOP! I love the baby quilt. And I love little Edward's middle name. I'm sure he's just a little doll.

    I can't wait to see your sister's finished product. Looks like it's going to be beautiful!

    ~Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's going to be a beautiful quilt when it's finished - I'll be interested to see how that curved quilting looks on the pinwheels! Whoop whoop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoop-whoop! Love the baby quilt...and the name. Glad to hear baby and mommy are doing well. LOVE the sneak peek of the fabrics for your sister. Those are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elizabeth ~ Thanks for the kind words! I'm hoarding those fabrics I'm using for my sister. I love them so much that I don't want to use them all up!

    Melody ~ Just do little bits here and there! LOL I'm getting to where I have to have something going all the time - sewing, books, etc. You'd think I didn't have anything else to do!

    Kristi ~ The baby's name sure suits his parents - precious people, faithful to God!

    Sarah ~ I have the quilting done for the middle, and those curves just give it life! I love it! My borders haven't turned out so well, but I'll deal with them tomorrow.

    HPB ~ Thanks - I love those fabrics too - they're my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your quilting template. The baby quilt is going to be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. all babies are sweet but a Valentines baby is double sweet!
    your quilt it great -I need to learn free motion quilting too but so far it is only on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is going to be a lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin