Wednesday, January 19, 2011

This 'N That

We're almost to the end of our boys' visit. They leave early tomorrow morning for their flight back to Los Angeles. I have mixed feelings about that. I know they're anxious to get back to school and their normal routine, but at the same time, I hate to see them go. I'll spend tomorrow cleaning house and grocery shopping and hopefully not crying. I cry horribly during goodbyes and then usually settle back down pretty quickly. I've prayed the past several times one or both of them has left to not cry while I say goodbye, because it makes them uncomfortable, and the Lord has answered and allowed me to just get a little tearful. I'll need that prayer around 6:30 Pacific time tomorrow morning! ;)

I went out this afternoon and got the fabric for the baby quilt I'm going to work on Friday night. I'm using the Pinwheel Baby Quilt pattern from Moda Bake Shop. There are very few places to find Moda pre-cuts in Canada, and when you do, you really pay for them. There is one quilt shop here that has them, and I was willing to pay the extra amount for a charm pack to use in this quilt, but they didn't have any suitable for a baby boy. The "charm packs" at Wal Mart just feel way too cheap, and they are only half the quantity of the Moda ones for the same price, so I would have needed two of them, doubling the price for less quality. So I ended up at the regular fabric store buying yardage to cut myself. It was more expensive, but I'll have leftovers and probably learn a lot in the process! I got this cute line of Safari Tots; little cartoon jungle animals on baby blue, with green, orange, and yellow accents. I'm going to use the stripe for the binding - so cute - and the blue with animals all over for the back. I think it will turn out cute! Below are pictures of the entire line, of which I got the fabrics down the right side; the stripe for the binding; and the blue for the back.


I'm also making my sister a bag like the one I made for a blog friend last summer. Rebekah saw it then and asked if she could have one, and I said I'd make her one. Well, not long after that, life got crazy - we took a trip to the US, candidated for a new church, moved, then jumped right into Christmas. So she's been waiting all these months for that bag, and I'm determined to get started on it this week.

Our prayer meetings are going well this week! We've had a good number of our people out the first two nights. We'll have a true "prayer meeting" tonight, where we meet just to pray. It's good to change things around every now and then!

So that's it for now. Hope you're having a great week!

6 comments:

  1. I love the pattern!
    I'm trying to determine a pattern to use for the Sanibel fabric my Mom bought me for Christmas. This would look nice. HHHMM, just not sure what I want to do.
    Let me know how difficult this pattern is.
    Have fun!
    Kami

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this pattern too - been saving it for something like this. I love Heather Peterson! Everything I've seen of hers I've loved. Rebel Roses is my favorite, but Sanibel is up there too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you, Susan. I checked in there just a little too late for the actual goodbye, but am praying anyway. I used to do the same thing, and it is still hard saying goodbye to our faraway daughter and family.

    One thing that really helped me was a wake-up call about this in fall 2001. It was a month after the 9-11 attacks, and we were in SC (where our daughter and family lived then -- now it's NV!) and we had just said goodbye. I had not done too badly with the actual goodbye, but fell apart afterward. Somewhere in NC we stopped to use a rest room and I still had tears falling down my face. I looked like a mess! People were staring at me. I realized then that probably they thought I had lost someone in the attacks. That was such a turning point for me! After all, no one had died. Yes, I would miss my daughter, but the Lord was with me, and with her, and this was all in His hands... I don't know if this helps you at all, but it sure has helped me!

    Oh, and the fabrics are lovely -- happy crafting!

    God bless,
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how adorable. I have not yet tried my hand at quilting. It actually seems a bit intimidating to me. I have restricted myself to garment sewing, primarily, but I do enjoy seeing the work of quilters. I hope you will share more pictures as your quilt progresses!

    I hope the departure of your sons went smoothly. I know it must be heart-wrenching to see them go, but I'm so glad you had a nice visit with them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess it is too late to pray for you during their departure. :-) Hope it all went well. I usually do fine when actually with them, but have to excuse myself to the bathroom for a little cry either some time before they leave or after -- or both.

    I wonder if one could do the Friday night sewing thing on Friday afternoon. For us, Friday night is when everyone comes home after a long week and just relaxes -- or this time of year, Jesse has a BB game. I don't like to shut myself away in the sewing room when everyone's home in the living room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mrs. T ~~ Thank you for praying for me this morning! Everything went fine. My voice quavered and a few tears squeaked out, but no sobs or anything! LOL I have to remind myself sometimes that children leaving and leading their own lives is normal and healthy, and they are doing well. It helps keep things perspective. Thank you for your insight!

    Miss Linda ~~ I have wanted to try quilting for years, and I've found that I love it! I've only made one quilt and one quilted bag, but I have enjoyed the process on each one. I can sew clothes too, but quilting is so much more interesting to me! ;)

    Barbara ~~ I'm going to have to do my "Friday night" a little in the afternoon, and then later in the evening, because we're having our prayer meetings each night this week. I hope it doesn't matter, too! I think the idea is mainly to motivate us to get some serious work done, which is something I really need.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin