Saturday, September 18, 2010

Reading Meme

 Barbara at Stray Thoughts did this reading meme several weeks ago. I've had it in my drafts since then, just waiting for a time when it struck me as something interesting to write about. Barbara only answered a few of the 55 questions, so I'll just stick to the ones she answered to keep this from getting too long. This was originally hosted at Booking Through Thursday

Favorite childhood book? 
Anne of Green Gables
What are you reading right now?
To Seek and to Save: Winning and Building Committed Followers of Jesus Christby Paul Chappell
First Things Firstby Stephen Covey
A Time to Die by Gilbert Morris



Bad book habit?
Dog-earing the pages. I lose bookmarks, so it's just too easy to dog-ear the page. I will also lay a book open flat, upside down, if I'm coming back to it soon. Other than that, I consider my habit of getting books at the library and forgetting to read them a bad one! ;)

Do you have an e-reader?
Yes, I do! My husband bought me a Barnes & Noble Nook. I love it! Although I'm a traditionalist in most things, I love the idea of an e-reader. I love that I can have as many as 1,500 books at my fingertips (unlimited if I add a storage card, but I really don't think I'll ever need one), each one opening exactly where I stopped reading last. I love reading in bed, holding my "book" in one hand and turning "pages" with just the touch of a button. I love that it's compact and easy to carry with me (it fits in my purse). The screen is non-glare, so I can read while riding or sitting outside without the glare of the sun bothering me. I can highlight and make notes while I read, just like in a real book. I anticipate buying most of my new books through my Nook. The CEO of Thomas Nelson Publishers, Michael Hyatt, has written several posts about digital publishing which might interest you if you're considering an e-reader. He also has a comparison of the four major e-readers.

Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
I can't stick to just one book at a time! LOL

Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
No, not really. I do find good book recommendations from other bloggers, but I still read about the same amount.


How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
Not too often, but I'm trying to change that. I'm trying to read less fiction and more inspirational and self-help books, although I do read fiction at night before I go to sleep.

What is your reading comfort zone?
Christian fiction (always romance!), especially historical fiction; Christian living for women; books on particular crafts, such as quilting.

Can you read on the bus?
I love to read while I ride! Wes loves to drive, so I read. Reading makes long trips more bearable, except that I'm finding that I fall asleep more often now. What's up with that?

Favorite place to read?
Sitting in my big comfy chair in the living room or propped up in bed.

What is your policy on book lending?
I just lend books when someone expresses an interest in one on my shelf. I haven't run into any problems lending my books.


Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
I am beginning to do this and I love it! I have begun highlighting, underlining, and writing notes in my non-fiction books, which are mostly study-type books. My copy of A Woman After God's Own Heart® is a mess! This article by Michael Hyatt speaks of writing in your books to help you retain more of what you read.



What makes you love a book?
In fiction, I want to connect with the characters in some way, and I want to see them learn something and be better at the end of the book than they were at the beginning. In non-fiction, I love books that affect my heart and not just my emotions, and that teach me practical actions to change my life.

What will inspire you to recommend a book?
Fiction that is clean and inspiring; non-fiction that is life-changing.

Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
Biographies. I really need to read more about real people, especially women, and the lessons they learned in life.

Favorite biography?
And now I have to choose a favorite of my least-read genre?! The most interesting biography I've read is Carry a Big Stick: The Uncommon Heroism of Theodore Roosevelt (Leaders in Action Series), about President Theodore Roosevelt. He was a fascinating man; he had great enthusiasm for life and a strong sense of morality.


Favorite cookbook?
Anything from Taste of Home.

Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
A Woman After God's Own Heart®

Favorite reading snack?
Popcorn, but I rarely eat it anymore. With a Coke.




Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
What Hath God Wrought, a book of the Christian history of America. It was huge and had so much information in it that it was hard to read. I never did read the whole thing.

Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
Well, I've never read any of those epic books like War and Peace and such as that. Just not interested.



Favorite fictional character?
Anne Shirley! Someone mentioned The Scarlet Pimpernelthe other day, and that reminded me how much I loved Sir Percy Blakeney in that - great book!

Favorite fictional villain?
I'm going to be honest here and admit that I don't really read that many books that have notorious villains! I think the most spine-tingling villain I've ever encountered in a book was the dragon in Frank Peretti's The Oath. Peretti can just about make my hair stand on end!


The longest I’ve gone without reading.
I read something every day, even if it's just the back of the cereal box!


What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
The TV. But very little else. That's why I quit reading fiction when my children were little. The house could be falling down around me and I'd never know it.

Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
Emma, whichever version my daughter likes best. I never can remember which one is best!

Most disappointing film adaptation?
Grrrrrrrrr . . . the third movie in the Anne of Green Gables Trilogy, DVD Boxed Set. I hate that movie! The producer didn't even try to make it like any book in the series. I was also disappointed in the The Complete Love Comes Softly DVD Collection. I love the books and really wanted to see them "come to life."

The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
At Barnes & Noble a few weeks ago buying that e-reader! LOL

What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
Nasty language, gratuitous sensual content, a plot that completely goes against my own beliefs, or just sheer boredom.

Do you like to keep your books organized?
I keep them organized by genre and author.

8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your answers. We're similar in a lot of our preferences. I can see how an e-reader would be good for reading in bed and traveling. I mostly read when we travel, too, as Jim prefers to do most of the driving.

    I was disappointed in the third Anne movie as well as the Love Comes Softly series, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't normally do these, but this one looks like such fun! Mainly because I love to read! :) I think I'll copy and paste it into a draft post and finish it up when I get a chance.
    Btw, don't ever let my hubby see you dog-ear a book page! LOL! That's a big NO-NO! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara ~~ When I copied this from your blog, I had your answers there also. As I would come to each question, I thought it was funny how my answers were very similar to yours on many of them. Great minds think alike, eh?! ;)

    Sharon ~~ This was a fun one. I had a good time sorting out my thoughts. Looking forward to reading your answers whenever you get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed out loud where you said you read the cereal box! I thought I was the only one to do that! :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad I'm not the only one, Tammy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan, I soooo enjoyed reading your answers. I plan to do this as soon as I finish blogging about our vacation. I have so many pic's, I am breaking our vacation up in days...only 2 more to go! :)
    Have a wonderful week!

    Keep shinin'!
    Liesa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liesa ~ I'm looking forward to reading your answers! Vacations are always so full that it's hard to condense it all down into a reasonable length for a blog post, aren't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was really fun to read! I may have to do this one soon.

    I felt the exact same way about the third Anne of Green Gables trilogy as well as the Love Comes Softly Series. I was so excited at the prospect of Janette Oke's books coming to life but was very disappointed in the final product.--I thought I was the only one.

    Oh and I read cereal boxes, shampoo bottles, just about anything that is around, too! LOL (o;

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin