Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Blast From the Past

Last Tuesday I had to have some blood drawn. While I was sitting in the waiting room, I glanced through the magazine selection, and the only one I found even remotely interesting was an issue of some news magazine. I picked it up and noticed that one of the headlines on front read "Preparing for the Olympics." Since we just had the Olympics here in February, I assumed it was an issue from early this year, so I looked at the date:  

September 19, 1988.

I was shocked! This magazine was almost 22 years old and still in great shape. I began looking through it and one of the first things I saw made me laugh out loud. It was a two-page ad for Sony. One page featured a robotic woman with blond hair standing beside the Wheel of Fortune letter board. The caption underneath read World's Longest-Running Game Show, 2012 A.D. Now that tickled me: a robotic Vanna White in 2012. The next page was just as funny. It showed a huge VCR, and the caption here read The Tape You'll Record It On, 2012 A.D. Sony. This was the latest and greatest in 1988. Huge VCR and video tapes. And Vanna would be robotic in 2012, but we'd still be using video tapes to record tv shows.

So I began looking in earnest at the ads in this magazine and wrote down what I found . . .
  • Toyota Tercel
  • Subaru Justy - $5,866
  • Dodge Colt - $6,477
  • Brother All-in-One word processor
  •     70,000 word dictionary (built in!)
  •     64,000 character memory
  •     One-piece portability w/carrying handle
  •     Detachable keyboard
  • Cigarette ads were still allowed
  • So were liquor ads (are they now?)
The Republican presidential candidates in 1988 were George H.W. Bush and Dan Quayle, and the media was having a heyday with Quayle. Nothing much has changed on that front.

The Democratic candidates were Michael Dukakis and Lloyd Bentsen. They were the media darlings. Of course.

Oh, The Olympics mentioned on the front cover? The 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul, South Korea. I can't remember why they were preparing for them in September, unless the reports were looking back at the preparations earlier in the summer. Some of the stars of the Olympics that year were Florence Griffith Joyner (aka Flo-Jo), Ben Johnson, and Greg Louganis.

In my personal life, I was 23 years old, married for almost 4 years, and expecting my first baby in December. We had a little dog named Champ, and we lived in Rapid City, SD, where Wes was stationed at Ellsworth Air Force Base. I was babysitting two children of families in our church for extra income. That September we took a trip to SC for my sister's wedding, and we brought back my Granny to stay with us till the baby was born.

What were you doing in September, 1988? Do you remember anything special about that year?

13 comments:

  1. That is great! LOL Who knows, Vanna may still be on WoF in 2012. It's not like she's needed now but she's still on the show!

    Let's see, September 1988 I was 11 years old, soon to be 12 (in November). We lived in California, on 10 acres that my dad farmed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I think it is still legal to advertise alchoholic beverages in media.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the year I started the job I currently do!

    I had an 18 month old and an 8 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to think about that! In Sept. '88 I had a four year old and a one year old -- no wonder it is a blur! I do remember we had a big family reunion with my mother's side of the family that summer -- the only one we've ever had like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was 6 so I don't remember much of what I was doing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let's see; I was thirteen years old and in the eighth grade. My parents bought my first horse that year, so I was loving life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is great! I love that you paid attention and shared this.
    Hysterical!

    I was working at Penn State and preparing for a March 1989 wedding.

    That was a very good year.

    Becky K.
    Hospitality Lane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - that is funny and odd. I am sure it was interesting to look thru.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, some of you girls are very young! LOL It's been so much fun to read what each of you were doing in 1988. My mother-in-law wrote to remind me that Hurricane Gilbert hit Jamaica in Sept. 1988, and my best girlfriend Deborah mentioned that she went out with her husband for the first time after the birth of their first child, to celebrate their anniversary. So many memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. In Sept. 1988 my daughter was 4 months old and I was about to turn 22. Bob got out of the Army the day Jenny was born and we lived in a little rental cabin on the river near an old mill. The living room and two bedrooms were on the main floor and the dining room, kitchen, and bathroom were in the basement area.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to think a mag is still doing the rounds after all those years - September 1988. Here in England I was preparing to go on one our first holidays abroad little realising it was going to be a good and bad time. Great first week sunning ourselves on the beach, my 8 year old son playing in the pool and loving every minute, second week not so good as hubby wanted to stay by pool and we came home only for him to leave us as he met someone else while we were there BUT praise the Lord he brought us through it all and my 8 year old is now 30, married with a wonderful wife and 3beautiful children so despite being divorced how blessed am I. "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose (Rom 8:28)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Noooooo.... this makes me feel so OLD! I love reading old magazines though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Honeycombs ~ your story touched my heart! You've been a faithful mom all these years, and I know the Lord has blessed you for it. I'm sorry that my little fluffy blog post brought back such a painful time in your life, though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin