Friday, July 09, 2010


 This week's Flashback Friday is all about those boo-boos you get while you're growing up:
Were you prone to accidents and injuries when you were growing up? Did you ever break a bone? Knock out any teeth? Get stitches? Have you ever ridden in the back of an ambulance? Did you ever have surgery or spend any time in a hospital? How did your folks treat injuries and illnesses? With lots of TLC or by telling you to get a stiff upper lip? Was there a particular home remedy that your mom (or dad or whoever!) used or any "traditions" involving injuries or illnesses? What's the worst injury (or illness) you had when you were growing up?
Praise the Lord, I was not a child prone to serious injuries. I did - and still do - bruise easily, I suppose because of my fair skin. I always had a bruise or two that I wasn't really sure how it came to be there. My parents were not the pampering type when I got hurt; most of the time they'd just say, "You're ok. Get up and try again."

I did do some goofy things that resulted in minor injuries, though. When I was 5, I thought it would be fun to throw rocks in the air and watch them come down. My dad told me to stop, but I kept doing it anyway (in all my 5-year-old wisdom) and ended up with a gash in my forehead that required a few stitches. Then when I was about 8, we lived at the top of a hill on a dirt road full of potholes and rocks. I decided one day to try riding down the hill on my bike without using my brakes. I don't remember anything past starting down the hill until I woke up sitting in the bathroom at home with Daddy wiping the blood off my face. I had a nice scrape down one side of my face and a busted lip. And I had to go to school like that. And explain what happened.

For minor cuts and scratches, my mother loved using mercurochrome. Did any of you ever use it? It was a bright orange-red color and it stung like crazy when you put it on a cut! I would cry and beg Mama not to use it, but she insisted. She used it a lot herself on any cut or sore on her foot, because she was a diabetic and any little cut could become serious overnight. So I guess she figured if it was good enough for her it was good enough for me!

I did have surgery when I was 12. I had a "bunion" on my left foot that was bothering me, and the doctor my mother took me to just scheduled surgery for it and we never got a second opinion. I'm not sure now that it should have been removed, because now I have a real bunion that doesn't bother me at all unless I bump it! I was in the hospital for about 2 days, I think, and on crutches for 6 weeks. I had always wanted to break my leg so I could be on crutches, but surgery fixed that! ;) I still have problems with both of my feet to this day, requiring me to wear shoes all the time and making me hobble when I get up in the morning - all these years, not just recently. So when I get to Heaven, I will enjoy running barefoot and not having aching feet!

Head on over to Mocha With Linda to read more accounts of childhood!

8 comments:

  1. Another mercurochrome memory! LOL

    Your bike accident sounds really painful.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my, I'm laughing hysterically right now...mercurochrome! My mom and her mom thought that was the "end all be all" for fixing any boo-boo! You can imagine how many times I had that bright orange paint decorating my arms and legs...especially with 7 active brothers! Thanks for bringing back some fond memories!
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking my mom used iodine, but it may have been mercurochrome. I was so glad someone invented Bactine! My parents had pretty much the same attitude when any of us was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I said on my post we called it
    "jumping up and down medicine" because it hurt so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mercurochrome was a big part of my childhood, too. Gram would paint in on me and I was such an accident prone kids some Summers I'd glow neon orange from head to foot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting memories! I enjoyed reading them...and yet another mercurocrome victim, too! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! I had read your blog for a while when I first started. It's funny, I was just thinking about you today and then just now came across your blog again. I am glad to become a follower. I too remember a couple of bike boo boos, and I too remember the mercurachrome! What a word and what a treatment! I hadn't thought about it in awhile. Hope to see more of you in blog land! Gail Moore

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm amazed by how many people were subjected to mercurochrome! LOL We all managed to live through it, but boy did it sting!

    Thank you all for your comments!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin