Friday, July 30, 2010

Flashback Friday: Church

Did your family attend church when you were growing up? What are your earliest memories of church? Did you attend VBS (Vacation Bible School) when you were young? Sunday School? Other church activities? Was faith a Sunday-only thing or did it impact your life and the things you did? If faith and church were not a part of your growing-up years, when and how did you begin and what drew you to God?
I'm jumping back in with Friday Flashback, sponsored by Mocha With Linda. Our family has been so busy the past couple of weeks that I haven't had much computer time. I have a post started to share our time while our boys were home; I'll try to get it up over the weekend. I still haven't had much time to be online!

Ok, now to the writing prompt . . .

My family did not attend church regularly until my dad accepted Jesus Christ as his Savior on January 26, 1972. I was almost 7 years old. Up until that time, church had only been an occasional Sunday-morning event for my mother and me. After Daddy got saved, though, we began going to church every time the doors were open! Although I don't remember much about him from before his salvation, I know that changes came to our house when he got saved.

I made a profession of faith around the same time Daddy got saved, although looking back now I realize I didn't understand one bit of what I was doing. The lady who dealt with me didn't explain anything about sin or salvation, and she just had me repeat a prayer. For 21 years I struggled with doubts about my salvation, until at the age of 27 I truly trusted Christ as my Savior.

The church where my dad was saved had VBS every summer, and the 2 years we were at that church are the only years I went to VBS growing up. I remember making crafts. One year we made a "birdhouse" from Reader's Digests; we folded the top corner of each page over diagonally toward the spine of the magazine, then glued the front and back covers together, making a rounded house shape (that's so hard to explain!). Then we spray-painted them. One year we took Milk of Magnesia bottles and covered them completely with randomly shaped pieces of masking tape, then wiped them with a sponge dipped in paint and wiped that off. The result was a crackle-type look on the bottle. We used them as vases. I also remember the snacks: cookies and kool aid! I don't remember a single lesson, though!

I'm so thankful that my dad got saved when I was so young! God made such a difference in our lives from that day forward. We didn't have a Sunday-only religion at our house; it was an everyday lifestyle. Through that lifestyle, the Lord protected me from many of the things I might have gotten into. My social life was centered around church activities, and my parents kept a close eye on who my friends were and what I was doing. I went to Christian schools most of my life, and I met and married a saved young man, whom I met at church!

To this day, our lives are centered around church. Even before my husband entered the ministry, we were heavily involved in our church. All glory goes to God for that - He has kept us faithful! There have been several times along the way that it would have been easy to just quit going to church - various moves away from family and close friends, and one instance of being hurt by a pastor - but God kept us going, kept us faithful to Him!

9 comments:

  1. my mom is a regular church goer... we as her children also used to when we were younger but even if things already have changed, we do still have the same faith to God -:)

    btw, i'm new here and i'm hopping for my new blog, i hope we can exchange links and be friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kat! I'm glad to "meet" you through our blogs. Best wishes with your new blog - it's a fun thing to do, and you get to meet lots of new friends. While I believe wholeheartedly that church attendance is important, the most important thing is forgiveness of sin and salvation in Jesus Christ! Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the story of your dad's conversion and the change it made in the family. Such a great foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a goodly heritage!

    Kool-aid must've been the universal VBS drink back then. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. how did you get to British Columbia...my husband has been there and it is now one of his favorite places on earth. one day i'd love to visit there and see it for myself.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there fellow flashbacker!

    I have to tell ya that I have just loved getting all the different perspective of how we cm to be involved in the Body of Christ.

    God is so faithful to meet us all at our point of need.

    Blessings and thanks for sharing!
    R

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda ~ I do indeed have a firm foundation, as do my children. I'm so glad the Lord saw fit to save us!

    Barbara ~ Yes, a goodly heritage!!! I don't think they drink Kool Aid anymore! ;)

    skoots1mom ~ My husband read an article about Vancouver's predicted growth in the 21st century, the Lord burdened our hearts for this area, and after 3 years of raising support, here we are! It's so beautiful here! You have to come up and see it sometime!

    Robin ~ It's so nice to meet you! Yes, God is faithful to meet us where we are, and then change us to the image of Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Susan ~~ I liked reading over your 'VBS and church' post. Our stories are about the same except I didn't have those two years of VBS. Our dads, our early 'joining the church' and on and on were the same story with the same ending. Praise the Lord!

    Instead of a preacher I married an 'angel' who led me to find the Lord for real. I will always be grateful for her for that. And love her for being her!
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was raised in a Christian home and got saved at age 6. I vividly remember my mom preching to me as a kid that I would burn in hell if I didn't get saved. My moms were always in church every time the doors were open. I went to vbs. I married wonderful Christian man who went home to heaven in March 2009 of a heart attack. A friend from church set me up on a blind date with him. We got married in church and he had his homegoing service in church. In fact I need to go and pick out what I am gonna wear to church today...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin