Saturday, May 22, 2010

Sew-In Results


I had a very enjoyable evening working on my Road To Spring quilt for May's Friday Night Sew-In! I gathered my Coke Zero, my computer and a movie (although I didn't have Emma yet), and began free-motion quilting. I sewed the same area three times, and then I ripped it out three times. I was getting better at the meandering, but I'm still having trouble getting my stitch length right, and for some reason, my machine doesn't stitch consistently with the darning foot: there are places where the stitches don't form at all, then they will look good, then have some skips. If you're a free-motion quilter . . . help!



Since I couldn't get the free-motion right, I decided to switch to straight stitching with the walking foot, which went very well. I stitched in-the-ditch wherever there were seams that were straight across the quilt and the full length of the quilt. I still have half of the lengthwise seams, and then it'll be time for the binding - another first. I really enjoyed the straight quilting; it's something I felt confident doing.



See those safety pins still there, holding my layers together? I found out this morning that my batting is fusible. I crawled around on the floor for an hour, fighting with the backing and cheap masking tape, then pinning the layers together . . . when all the time I had fusible batting. It was a little more expensive, but after all that hands-and-knees stuff, I think it will be worth the extra money not to have to do all that!

Thanks for checking out my progress last night! Be sure to stop by Handmade By Heidi to see what others accomplished, too!

13 comments:

  1. Hi Susan
    I've not mastered machine quilting so I don't have any advice, but I do know a cute quilt when I see one and yours is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quilt... colors too.

    I'm not expert free motion quilter - but you could try and put your stitch length to zero?? My stitches aren't always even either but that's one thing that I always do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhonda ~~ Thanks for your kind words! I love the color combo, even though it matches nothing in my house!

    Heidi ~~ I will try changing the stitch length. Is that important, though, when you've covered the feed dogs? I think my main need at the moment is practice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good! You've gotten a lot done on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Barbara! I saw a similar quilt today that was quilted in straight lines, but a little more decorative. Next time I'll have to try it that way. I love this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan,
    How pretty. You did a wonderful job.
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Elizabeth! I'm enjoying learning how to quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job!! I posted a little quilting myself this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Diana! I saw your siggy quilt - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susan ~ great job!!! You're almost done! One time when my stitches were skipping, I changed needles and oiled the bobbin casing. It took care of the problem. However, since your machine is only having the problem when you're free-motion stitching, I'm not sure what's going on. I actually have never free-motioned; I opted to straight line stitch my Road to Spring just so I wouldn't have to do free-motion at this point...maybe in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Deb! I'll get this thing figured out someday, I guess. I'm very pleased with the straight line stitching on this one, though, and I hope to get the quilting finished tonight. I think I can manage the binding, and then I'll have my first finish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Susan,
    Thanks for visiting my blog. I too am trying to learn to do free motion quilting. So, I can't help you with the stitch length. I have had that problem too. I'm still practicing. I bought a book and hope to master it this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kim ~~ It's nice to know someone else is "just learning" and has to practice too! Thank you for stopping by; I've enjoyed your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin