Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Redeeming Love as a Movie?

I've just read that the book Redeeming Love is being made into a movie by Abba Productions, a company that makes films "that families are able to watch together." I've given my opinion of the book before, but in case you missed it, here it is again:
One of the most well-written books I've ever read is Redeeming Love, by Francine Rivers. Excellent writing, but if you've read that book, you know that there are quite a few scenes in it that, if they were on TV or in a movie, you would turn it off (at least I hope you would). So why read it if you wouldn't watch it?
I'm amazed that this book is being made into a movie! Yes, the story is powerful and inspiring, and it's based on a book of the Bible. But if the scenes in that book are made into a movie, it will have to be rated R. Will unsaved people really understand the symbolism or the spiritual implications of this story? Or will they watch it for the same reason they watch other R-rated movies? Personally, I see no good coming from a movie based on Redeeming Love. What do you think?

7 comments:

  1. I read the book, but it has been quite a few years, so I don't remember everything about it. From what I remember of the book, I am not quite sure how it could be made into a good movie.

    About Christian novels:
    a) Christian authors put unnecessary se.xual content into their books.

    b) they can because they have an audience. I have been guilty of reading the books myself. When I come across that content in books, it is hard to put down a book that you're half-way through and really into the story line. You don't always know it is coming either.

    So back to the movie, I don't know that an unsaved person would understand the symbolism, but if Christians were to watch the movie would they be able to see it either?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with your assessment of it being turned into a movie, as well as the fact that the lost would in no way "get it". True enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't read the book or any of her books that I know of. But I do believe the Bible, if rated, would rate an R. I think they should be very careful in making the movie. Their target audience wouldn't be a R audience, know what I mean?

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tammy ~~ it's so true that Christian fiction authors write for their audiences. I'm glad that those of us who like clean fiction are a large audience!

    Karen ~~ It would have a powerful message for the lost if the movie wouldn't appeal to the flesh so much, but I'm not sure that a movie could be made from that book without the fleshly scenes included.

    Pam ~~ It's true that the Bible **could** rate an R . . . IF it were set to film by modern-day secular filmmakers. God wrote His Word in such a way that we know what happened without being explicit. Children can read it without damaging their innocence, and we adults can read it and know exactly what it's talking about - without having to have scenes spelled out for us. Thanks for your comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished reading the book for the first time and I think it would be a WONDERFUL movie. I would be the first person in line to watch it. Yes, I do think that some parts of it would not be for little kids but there are also some books of the bible that are over their heads too...like Song of Solomon. What about the movie The Passion Of Christ?? This is a book about your past not being your future...you just have to let go and let God. Some people will go and watch the movie and never pick up a Bible and IF the producers go by the book and the Bible the film will be PERFECT!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with Maggie P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Maggie and Rachel! Thank you both so much for visiting my blog and for taking the time to leave comments. I appreciate your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to it, just as I am to mine. I still believe it's a bad idea to make a movie of the book, and I base my opinion on biblical principles and feel I should stand by it. But again, thank you for offering your own opinions!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin