Wednesday, May 12, 2010

He Placed . . .

This has been an exciting week at our house! On Monday, our older son, Samuel, preached in college chapel. He was one of five finalists in a preaching contest at the college. We watched the chapel service online (how I love live-streaming internet!) and were impressed with how well each young man preached. We were hoping the winner would be announced at the end of chapel, but we had to wait till today for that. So we watched the live stream of the graduation service. There was the sermon by Pastor Chappell, then the various degrees were conferred, then finally the awards portion of the service arrived. Finally the five young men were called to the platform. As each name was read, beginning with fifth place, my heart would drop into my stomach, then settle down again as I realized Samuel was still there. When the third place winner was announced, I began to cry; Samuel was going to place at least second. We heard that the highest possible score was 600 points, and that the second and first place winners were only one point apart. Then the second place winner's name was called . . . and it was Samuel! Out of 176 young preachers, our son placed second! Needless to say, we were thrilled. Seeing our children pursue their dreams and excel in them is one of the most satisfying aspects of parenthood yet! Praise the Lord for His faithfulness!
 

6 comments:

  1. That is so exciting!! Congratulations! I'm so sorry that our band-width won't allow streaming video. I wish I could have heard him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Deb! We are pleased with how well he's doing - all glory to the Lord. We do love our streaming video at our house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to Samuel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is wonderful!
    I've never heard of preacher contests before, so I learned something new today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rhonda ~~ Preaching contests are a way for these young Bible college men to practice their preaching. Since they're judged on all the things they're learning in their classes, it helps them see where they can make improvements, which is a good thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so wonderful to have your children follow the Lord.
    My son holds a church service at home out in a remote country area. Just to watch him grow in the Lord and my daughters is wonderful to see. It was my aim when we started our family years ago to show them the Lord and have them belong to him.
    www.nanasknoll.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin