Friday, May 21, 2010

Flashback Friday: Graduation

Tell about your senior year in high school. Were there any special traditions such as getting a senior ring? Were there lots of activities and parties as you neared graduation? Were you in any extra-curricular activities that had traditional "rites of passage" or "passing the baton" too the next class? Were awards given out - either serious or fun? Did you send out graduation announcements? Did your school have a Baccalaureate Service in addition to the graduation ceremony? If you attended church, did your church recognize/honor Seniors in any way? Did you keep your tassel - did you hang it from the mirror of your car or do something else special with it? What sorts of things did you get for graduation gifts? Was it a tradition to display the gifts in your home? 
 My senior year in high school . . . the year following the year that changed my life. My mother died the summer before my junior year, and my dad remarried the next year. It was decided that I would go to my new siblings' school, where we all went to church, just to have us all on the same page, so to speak. I remember that as a difficult year, one that I wouldn't go through again, just because life was so jumbled up for me at the time - new school, senior year, new friends, new mom, new siblings - obviously, I lived through it: that was 1982-83, and I'm still kickin'! ;)


I loved my graduation service! There was a sort of passing-the-torch type of ceremony during the service, where our dads brought a lighted candle and lit the candles we graduates were holding. I've always loved symbolism, so I enjoyed that part of the service very much. I know we must have sent out invitations, but I didn't keep one and I don't remember what they looked like. One of the disappointments of the year was my class ring. The custom of choosing your own style of ring and stone had just become popular, and I was excited to get to design my own ring. My school, though, still dictated the style and stone color (the school color), so I got exactly the same ring as everyone else! As for awards, I was a member of the National Honor Society, so I got to wear the NHS sash over my gown; that was pretty neat!


My family had a party for me at our house after graduation. I got several gifts, but I can't remember any of them except a bracelet given to me by my uncle and aunt, which I still have, by the way. It seems like my best friend, who had moved away a couple of years before, was able to come too, and I know we laughed a lot because we always do when we're together. I still have her as a best friend too! ;) I also kept my tassle; it's in my cedar chest.


And that's about all I can remember of my graduation! I have some pictures somewhere, but I don't know how to scan them in. I need to figure that out so I can start posting some pictures on these flashback posts.


To join in Flashback Friday or to see what others are remembering about their grads, be sure to join Linda at Mocha With Linda!



9 comments:

  1. It's understandable that you don't remember a bunch of that year since you had been through such an upheaval in your life.

    The candle ceremony sounds really sweet.

    Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda ~~ I can say that the Lord is good and life improved! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know God brought you through that difficult time and some sweet memories remain. He is good all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your memories. I like the candle ceremony idea. That would be very disappointing not to get to pick your ring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rita ~~ Yes, God is good all the time! Thanks for stopping by!

    bp ~~ The candle ceremony was great - so much symbolism! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only thing our school dictated about our rings was the Viking imprint. I remember having far too many choices. I also remember disappointing my grandmother because I chose so conservatively, but I got the ring I wanted - -then promplty gave it to the guy I was dating and never saw it again. Pft.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quilly ~~ Oh, no! To get the ring you wanted and then to never see it again . . . what a disappointment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Senior year is a hard time to change schools. I'm glad you survived. :-) The candle ceremony sounds sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, it was a hard time, but we all learn that we can live through hard times - and we usually do! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin