Monday, April 26, 2010

Life Takes Its Turns

For the past few weeks, a friend and I have planned to get together for lunch. Each time, something has come up and we haven't been able to make our lunch date. Today was our latest try, and once again, I got a call this morning that she couldn't make it. She'd been sick all weekend and just wasn't up to going out today. I reassured her that it's ok; sometimes life just takes turns and twists and there's nothing we can do about it other than roll with it.

I'm glad to know the Lord's in control of our lives! Proverbs 16:9 says, "A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps." It's good to plan; if we didn't plan, life would be chaos. But we have to hold our plans loosely, as Copper's Wife says. I've heard it said another way: make your plans in pencil and give God the eraser. It can get frustrating when your plans are changed often, but I'm learning to keep in mind that God knows the way that we take, and He is directing our steps. We'll keep making our plans, and Lord willing, we'll have our lunch together soon!

It's been so much fun reading your contest entries over the weekend! I love your words describing your moms. We'll be having the drawing Wednesday morning and announcing the winner Thursday - so stay in touch!

6 comments:

  1. So true! I was champing hard at the bit to come to Mexico, meet with the missionary we were going to work with, and set up housekeeping. Then God turned all our plans on their little heads! Wow-what God had planned was SO much better than what we were trying to "make" work. God wanted a church built here in Tizayuca, so He redirected two families here to get started on it. It's just amazing to show up and watch Him work!

    I was sorry we didn't get to meet when we planned also. If we don't get to see each other here, we will have to set up another meeting in Heaven-I'm sure there will be plenty of time to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post---knowing God's timing will be perfect when you finally get together...I like what you said about writing your plans in pencil.....
    deby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah ~~ It seems like our plans for serving God are the ones we most impatient about! It's so easy to get excited about doing a great work for the Lord, when all along He had something equally great in mind - just not what WE had in mind! LOL

    Deby ~~ We're looking forward to our lunch. She's an elderly friend who has had some health setbacks recently, and I know that getting out for lunch will be a blessing to her - but she's the one treating me to be a blessing to me. Amazing how that works, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post ~ thanks for sharing! I sometimes get discouraged when *my* plans get washed away...only to be so thankful in hindsight that the *Lord's* plan prevailed in the end! God is good!

    Blessings,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie ~~ That is so true! God's plan is always the best, and we can always look back and see that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love that quote about giving God the eraser! I'm gonna put it on my blog somewhere as a reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin