Tuesday, April 13, 2010

It's My Birthday!!!

 
We do ourselves and others a disservice when we make old age something to be feared.  Life is not a resource to be used up, so that the older we get, the less life we have left.  Life is the accumulation of wisdom, love and experience of people encountered and obstacles overcome.  The longer we live, the more life we possess.

Harold Kushner

Today is my 45th birthday! I hope there's nothing wrong with telling our age, although when I was a younger woman I once heard a lady whom I admired very much say it was inelegant for a lady to tell her age. So I guess I'm inelegant. But I am so happy to have another birthday each year that I just can't help it! LOL

Although I don't think I've quite hit old age yet, I really liked the above quote when I saw it last week. In our North American culture, we worship youth and postpone old age as long as we can. I'm not really excited about my body reshaping itself, as it's done the past couple of years, nor do I thrill to the gray strands I keep finding in my hair (or on my chin!), but I'm learning that life just gets richer and fuller every year. My husband and I love each other more and more; our children are becoming adults, and watching them begin their lives is one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had. Our extended family constantly grows as our siblings marry and have children - we still have several siblings not even married yet! Our circle of friends is huge, thanks to all the places we've lived over the years and now the online world of blogging and Facebook. So how can I dread growing older when so many exciting things are happening in my world? 

Today I'm celebrating one more year. I'm excited about this next year of my life, excited to see what it holds for us. Excited for the next ten years, twenty years . . . as many as the Lord will give me. He's been so good . . . so good! So yes, this is a happy birthday!


15 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Susan! I pray that God will bless you and your family richly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always honest and open about my age as well. I'm not sure why it was once thought not the thing to do.

    Hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday!
    I agree, I don't get the notion that ladies shouldn't tell their age.
    Oh, and doncha just love finding those little things on your chin? I usually notice them in the vehicle on the way to church, when I don't have tweezers handy!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, Happy Birthday to you!!!!! I see no problem either telling our age.....

    I'm just glad I can remember. HA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! Great post! I couln't have said it any better. We think alot alike on many issues!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhonda ~~ He already has, and I don't expect He'll stop now! :) Thank you!

    Barbara ~~ I never understood that either. I see no shame in my age; in fact, I'm always pleased to be another year older.

    Deborah ~~ Oh, the hairs! They are my constant enemy. Ever since deputation, I've carried a pair of tweezers in my purse!

    Diana ~~ It IS nice to still be able to remember, isn't it?!

    Tammy ~~ That's a good thing, yes?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday!! My best friend just turn 40th yesterday. She said that she has been going backwards for a few years now so really she is 26. LOL.
    I hope you have an amazing birthday.
    Love & Prayers
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, happy birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day and a great year to come!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carrie ~~ I like your friend's way of looking at it! Thank you for the b-day wishes!

    Tammy ~~ I'm having a great day, and looking forward to the next year - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Susan!!! I'm inelegant too. ;-) I feel like you and happy to be alive and enjoying life. May God bless you with many more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I have a birthday right around the corner...and I really appreciate your attitude and perspective!!

    I hope you had a wonderful, blessing-filled day!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sharon ~~ I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who is inelegant! ;) I'm in good company!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday, Sweet Susan!!!

    :)

    ~Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy happy birthday, Susan!!!! Sorry I didn't get on the computer earlier to see this post!!! I hope your day has been wonderful!!! You are still a young'un at 45! LOL! I liked the age quote.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jennifer ~~ It was a great day! Happy Birthday to you, a little bit early! :)

    Kristi ~~ Thank you! It was great!

    Deb ~~ I'm glad I'm still a young'un! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin