Saturday, April 17, 2010

Friday Night Sew-In: Results

I'm ready to show you the results of my first Friday Night Sew-In. It's not much, but I did feel good making some progress on a couple of projects.


The first thing I worked on was this pre-fab apron. This is the one that I said was cheating a little bit. I found this panel a few weeks ago at a thrift store for $3.00. Years ago, I used to see these panels and wanted to make one so bad, but we never had the extra money to spend on things like that. So when I saw this one at the thrift store, I got it - because I could! Last night I sewed it up. Please don't laugh! I know it's a rooster (sorry, Barbara!) and these things are probably out of style, but I like it. And that's what counts, right?! :)



The other project I worked on was my first table runner. I'm using the Choc-O-Cherry Turnover Treat pattern from Moda Bake Shop, and I'm using a Kansas Winter turnover. I totally ruined the first block, and the next two still don't look quite right to me, but I can't figure out if something's wrong with them or if it's just because the blocks aren't joined together yet. My sweet husband said that those things that look "wrong" are usually what make handmade things special - isn't he sweet??? Last night I decided to get all the centers done and then begin adding the sides to make the blocks. I had the two completed ones done before last night; the rest of the work was what I did last night.

So that's that. Hopefully I'll get to play again next month!

5 comments:

  1. I do remember when they used to sell everything from ornaments to aprons to stuffed toys in panels like that. I think I still have some things like that stored away somewhere....

    You're right, what counts is that you like it. It is kinda cute. :-)

    I read an article once about someone who make wall art using quilt blocks and put a mistake in each one on purpose so it would look authentic. And I thought -- what must it be like to have to put a mistake in on PURPOSE!? I'll never know -- I have plenty naturally!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana ~~ Thanks! :)

    Barbara ~~ My Granny used to make us grandchildren stuffed animals from panels; I had forgotten about that till you mentioned them! I can't imagine making a mistake on purpose either. I sure haven't on these blocks - they're all perfectly natural mistakes! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the apron! Very country and I'm a country girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tammy ~~ I'm a country girl too - living in the big city! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin