Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Let Me Introduce Myself . . .

My friend, Deb, at Mountain Musings, began her latest blog post similarly today! I told her I needed to do the same, since my blogging has been very sporadic recently, to say the least. Even my daughter said to me this afternoon, "Mom, you haven't blogged in a week and a half!" So I guess I should at least be a reasonably decent blogger and come by to say "Hello" every now and then.

I haven't been absent from the computer world. I've been reading blogs, especially quilt blogs (thanks, Deb!), and checking in on Facebook every day, but I just haven't had the blogging oomph. If you're a blogger, you probably know what I mean. And life has been busy.

The last time I blogged, my husband was loopy and my parents celebrated their 28th anniversary. Wes had his tooth pulled two weeks ago by an oral surgeon. The roots were curved down under his tooth, firmly wrapping themselves around his gum. Once the tooth was out and he came out of the effects of the pain killers, he was fine and back to his old self again.

The weekend of my parents' anniversary, my dad experienced some symptoms of extremely high blood pressure. They were severe enough that he thought it might be smart to slide on in to the emergency room, and tests showed that he had suffered a mini-stroke, sometimes called a warning stroke. Praise the Lord, he didn't suffer any damage at all, and now he's able to take steps to manage his blood pressure. He said the nurse told him that over 80% of people who have a mini-stroke have a major stroke within one year. Those are usually the ones who shrug off the symptoms my dad had as just "one of those things" and don't get checked out. I just can't effectively say how relieved I am that Daddy went to the ER and is on the road to recovery! We take our loved ones always being there for granted, you know?

I've been working on my craft area, decluttering and organizing it so I can see what supplies I have and hopefully get new ideas and fresh inspiration. I started this as a challenge with Org Junkie, but I sooooo flopped in that 28 days! I can't believe how much scrapbook paper I had in there! Just tonight I finished thinning down that collection and organizing it. The best thing I did was designate photo storage boxes for my cardstock scraps and scrapbook paper scraps. They were everywhere, and I had been trying everything I could think of to store them and remember to use them. Now I have them in boxes right next to my craft desk, and I can look through them easily for what I need, and I can also just throw more scraps in them. When the boxes get full, no more scraps go in. Hopefully this will stop me from cutting into fresh papers until I need to, too.

The other project I've been working on is my Road to Spring Quilt-Along. I have my top done and I. love. it. However, it is not a quilt yet, as a quilt should actually be . . . .ummm . . . quilted! The hangup is my sewing machine: I don't have a darning foot, which makes free-motion quilting possible. So I have plans to get the foot tomorrow at a sewing center in Vancouver when I go for a doctor's appointment. Another problem is that I've never even tried free-motion quilting. So I need to make a little practice quilt sandwich and kind of get the feel for it before I try it on my quilt. I think I'll love quilting once I learn these basics. Today I ordered two charm packs from Green Fairy Quilts, and I'm getting a Turnover for free. I can't wait till they get here, and I've been over at Moda Bake Shop checking out their recipes using charm squares and turnovers, trying to figure out what to try first. I thought I had a picture of my quilt top, but now I can't find it. I'll find it soon or take another one. It's late.

And so I will quit for now. Have a great week (what's left of it!), and I'll try not to be so long between posts anymore!

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, please post pictures of your quilt, even if you're not done yet. I would LOVE to see it! Also, thanks for the links. Not that I need any other interesting sites to browse, but it sure is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, please post pictures of your quilt, even if you're not done yet. I would LOVE to see it! Also, thanks for the links. Not that I need any other interesting sites to browse, but it sure is fun!

    (sorry if it shows up as a double post; this doesn't seem to be working for me this morning)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear from you again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to hear more about the symptoms of high blood pressure and mini-stroke. My husband has just started going to the dr. regularly -- he is one who almost never goes. His mom is frugal to a fault and sees no need to go unless something is wrong and has been for a few weeks. (Sigh.) But a long-lasting cough that just would not go away and was impeding his work finally sent him in, and it was discovered his blood pressure was high. They're trying medication to bring it down -- he can't take decongestants any more because they send blood pressure up. It all scares me.

    I took a quilting class years ago but never did anything with it. I'm afraid of piecing because I am not very exact in my seams, so it just seems that would be a frustration to try to get the pieces right. But I cannot find a bedspread or comforter or quilt I like and I do have scraps in those colors....so I have been toying with the idea. But it would likely have to wait til summer.

    I've never tried free-motion quilting, but someone who is a master at it is Wendy at Ivory Spring: http://ivoryspring.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan! Yes, it's GOOD to hear your smiling voice again on the blog. I KNOW what it's like to get bogged down in everything else besides blogging! At least I have an out: "Girls, bake something and post the recipe til I can blog again!" LOL!!

    I can't wait to see your quilt. And please post the pictures of your charm squares when you get them. It will be fun to see what you're working with.

    Thanks for your blogging update.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melody ~~ I won't tell you how much time I spent looking at those fabric packs yesterday, trying to decide which one I wanted! ;) I'll take a picture of my quilt today and post it.

    Hi, Diana! Thanks for coming by and leaving a comment!

    Barbara ~~ The symptoms my dad experienced during his mini-stroke were slurred speech (he was teaching, and knew his words weren't coming out right, but he couldn't make them come out), numbness in his hand and arm, and when he tried to drive home (this part scares me so bad!), he couldn't make his feet work right on the pedals of the car. So he knew something wasn't right and looked up his symptoms online - all pointed to a stroke, so he went to the ER. He's now taking medicine to bring it down and trying to lose weight and exercise.

    The quilt top I just made needs to match up, of course, but it's pretty forgiving. Mine don't match up perfectly on some seams, but the difference was small enough that I can live with it. You'd have to sit down with it and examine it to notice them. I'd encourage you to try one of these (this one is a lap quilt) just to get your feet wet again, and then maybe you could get back into it. I just used scraps that I already had. The only cost will be my darning foot.

    Deb ~~ I will show my charm squares as soon as they come, which to Canada may take a while. The postal service here is crazy; sometimes things take a few days, other times a few weeks to get here. I hope this is one of those time that it only takes a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking forward to seeing your quilt! I need to get a walking foot for my machine too. I would like to make a disappearing nine-patch for my dd, and machine quilt it. Hope the quilting goes smoothly for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to hear that your dad is going to be OK. Glad he decided to get checked out. I'm praying for him.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin