Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Planning for the Year

We're already well into the first week of the new year, so I guess I'm a little late in posting this. The truth is, I've been so busy trying to do what I'm about to write about that I haven't really made blog posting a priority!

Last year was a hard one in several ways for me. I won't go into them all, because most of it is very personal. Toward the end of the year, I was getting very discouraged, so I wasn't too interested in the new year coming. I was tired. But then I read a series of articles by Bro. Cary Schmidt, whom I've quoted and referenced here several times, in which he detailed making a plan for the new year, and I started getting excited (the article linked to above is the last in the series; the other 3 are linked in the article). I realized I could make a difference in how 2010 would go by having a plan for the year. I was already contemplating a word for my year (more on that later), so I began to gradually piece together my roles in life and to make goals and plans in each of those areas. The difference this year, as opposed to other years, was that I examined each role that I have - woman of God, wife, mother, daughter/sister, homeschooler, homemaker, pastor's wife, Sunday school teacher, church musician, ladies' fellowship leader, blogger, Etsy seller, crafter. As I thought of each role, I began to write down the responsibilities of each role. I began to see areas where I could do better, and I made some definite plans to improve those areas.

For example, one area where I had totally failed last year was as leader of our ladies' fellowship. I had several excuses for that, but the biggest reason I failed was because I didn't plan definite activities. So as I thought of my role and planned my year in that area, I set specific dates for our meetings and what the general theme of each meeting will be.

Examining my roles opened my eyes in a different way this year. I've set priorities before, but actually writing down a "job description" for each role somehow made a difference in how I set goals. One activity that Bro. Schmidt suggested in planning the year is sitting down and putting everything into a calendar of some sort. I have been working on that here a little, there a little. I want to share how that is working soon, too. But for now, I'm wondering how you set your goals for the year?

3 comments:

  1. Hello Susan!
    I'm going to read the series of articles you mentioned. They sound very interesting. I've always set goals for the year, but I love the idea of looking at each of my roles and setting goals for them.
    Thank you for this post!
    Kami

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kami, you will enjoy those posts! :) Also, he has listed a Spiritual Leadership podcast in December in which Pastor Chappell talks a bit more about examining your roles; that was the actual beginning of my interest. Also, these men are talking primarily about ministry as pastors, but I just took what I could use as a homemaker and pastor's wife and used it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post and you have given me something to consider.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin