Thursday, November 26, 2009

That's Done!

Just popping on to let you know that I had my little surgery this morning and everything is fine. There was very little pain - I think the very bottom edge didn't get numbed quite enough, so I felt a little zap every now and then, but it wasn't traumatic or anything. The doctor, a very nice, older gentleman, chatted with me while he worked. If you know me in real life, you know talking is my way of letting you know all is right in my world, so being able to talk while it was going on was a good thing! ;) He teased me that I was getting a free mini-facelift this morning. I just hope it's not very noticeable or I'll have to get the other side done! LOL

The doctor did reassure me that this type of skin cancer is very mild and is never life-threatening. I also asked him about something I'd read online after I was diagnosed. I'd read that what you could see on the skin was the "tip of the iceberg" and that there was always a lot more under the skin. He said the opposite is true: what you see on the skin is most of it, and there is very little under the skin. I think I'll believe the plastic surgeon who's removed thousands of them; wouldn't you?!

He'll be sending the lesion for further testing to make sure he got it all, and I'm to see him in two weeks. My stitches will dissolve on their own in about a week, and I can go about my normal routines as far as washing my face and all that. I have a huge bandage on there right now, but I can take that off tonight. The funniest thing is that I can't raise my right eyebrow! It's stuck, so when I look up, I feel like I'm peeking out from under a shelf or something! LOL

So many of you have sent messages saying you're praying for me or encouraging me with stories of yourselves or loved ones having the same surgery. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being so kind and thoughtful! I treasure your friendship!

5 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you that it is done. I forgot for a second that it is not Thanksgiving Day in Canada and wondered why they would have scheduled it now.

    Take care!

    Becky K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that, as far as surgeries go, this one wasn't too bad. I'd take the surgeon's word for the depth of it as well. Hope the eyebrow thing gets back to normal!

    Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great news, Susan!
    As far as the "tip of the iceberg" that you mentioned... that can be true actually, but for a totally different type of skin lesion. My son has one that starts very deep under his skin (he had a biopsy), but it was something he was born with. Just thought you'd like a little more reassurance that your doctor was right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky, ALL of my American friends have done a double-take when I told them I had surgery scheduled for yesterday! LOL Even I was surprised when I found out the date, then I realized I'm not in the US. Seems like Thanksgiving is ingrained in us Americans! ;)

    Barbara, my eyebrow is back to normal. ;) It really was an odd feeling not to be able to move it. And when I couldn't move it, that's all I wanted to do - goofy woman that I am! LOL

    Pam, I'm sure there are some skin conditions that are deep! The site I read that on was for my specific type of skin cancer, though, and I was just amazed at the misinformation. Lets me know I have to read with discretion. I hope your son's skin problem is easy to take care of and won't cause any problems for him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan ~ Yay! Not only is it over, but the news sounds very good and promising. I'm so thankful! (Sorry I'm late in reading this!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin