Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Susan's Face: The Continuing Saga

A bit dramatic, huh?! The last time I mentioned this facial lesion, I told you that I had an appointment today with my dermatologist. Friday morning I received a call from his office that they had a cancellation for that afternoon and I could go in then if I wanted to. I took that appointment, and the ball really got to rolling from there!

All along this long, drawn-out process, I've kept up my belief that this lesion was nothing serious. My family doctor's first impression was that it wasn't cancer, although he didn't know exactly what it was. Then I found a condition online that's related to diabetes, and I was sure that was what this thing was. And then I went confidently to the dermatologist's office, happy that I would soon know exactly what it was. And now I know.

The dermatologist took one look at it and pronounced, "I know exactly what that is. It's a basal cell skin cancer." I felt my face blanch. I honestly wasn't prepared to hear those words. Especially that word. I wasn't familiar with the various types of skin cancer (in denial all this time?), so it scared me. The doctor quickly reassured me that this type of cancer is not life-threatening: it grows slowly and does not spread to the blood, lymph nodes, or organs. It's localized, meaning it's all in this one place on my temple. And it's usually benign.

He took another biopsy, just to make sure there are no surprises, and scheduled me with a plastic surgeon to remove the cancer next Thursday, November 26th. It's outpatient surgery, takes about an hour, and I'll be free to go and celebrate American Thanksgiving with our friends just as we'd already planned. I'll call on Monday, the 23rd, for the results of the biopsy, which he expects will confirm his diagnosis, nothing more.

I have to admit that I was pretty shaken on Friday. For some reason, I was convinced that this was not skin cancer, and to hear those words was scary. I do praise the Lord, though, that it is most likely curable, and my brush with the word cancer will be brief at this time, unlike so many who hear that word. I'm also glad for my fellow blogger and missionary wife, Rita, who is a fair-skinned redhead like me and has been dealing with basal cell skin cancer for 12 years; she's been a huge encouragement to me! Thanks, Rita!

I'd appreciate your continued prayers that this will indeed be a minor thing in the overall scheme of things, and thanks for praying already!

6 comments:

  1. I can imagine how frightening it was to hear that -- it was frightening just to read it! But I guess if you have to have some kind of cancer this seems to be the best kind. I am glad the prognosis is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be praying for you! It is sure scary to hear this kind of news. I will be waiting to hear how things progress.

    God Bless!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be praying for you! I'm glad the cancer is localized! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Barbara, Tammy, and Deanna! I sure do appreciate your friendship and prayers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan!´
    Just wanted you to know that I am praying for you! I know that its scary to face physical ailments over which you have no control.
    God is with you in the fire!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin