Thursday, November 12, 2009

Followup the Followup


I went to the doctor today for my annual physical (courtesy of diabetes!) and the followup to the biopsy I had two weeks ago. I don't mind going for followups, but I sure do hate physicals! This time I knew a lot of what was going on, because I had the lab send me a copy of my blood test results. It wasn't pretty, y'all.

My average blood sugar for the past 3 months (HbA1c) has gone above 7, which is the "magic number" for avoiding all those complications that go along with diabetes, such as heart disease, high blood pressure, blindness, kidney failure . . . and the list goes on. Of course, staying below that number doesn't guarantee those things won't happen, but it does give you a goal to aim for in managing blood sugar levels.

The bad thing is that I know why my A1c as gone so high: lack of exercise and discipline in eating. I sound like a broken record, don't I? So I began exercising faithfully again this week, and it's already working to bring my sugars down. It really is amazing what exercise can do. I'm also eating a lot better. Both things together are helping me feel a lot better.

The biopsy. It was inconclusive. Apparently the sample my doctor took was not large enough, so I'll have to have a second, larger biopsy done. I already had an appointment to see the dermatologist next Tuesday, so he'll take care of that for me. I was really disappointed not to get a definite answer today. To remove the entire lesion will take plastic surgery! I say just go ahead and do lots of work on my face - nip here, tuck there - while they're at it! ;) So we'll see what happens with that.

And that's that. The answer was no answer. We'll followup the followup with a followup! LOL Thanks for your prayers; please keep praying if the Lord brings it to your mind.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry your numbers were high -- but glad exercise is helping. That should motivate me to exercise -- I don't have diabetes but I am afraid of getting it.

    I am not sure how to relate to the numbers -- here "normal" blood sugar is 100. But I do understand about it being higher than wanted.

    I'm sorry the biopsy wasn't conclusive -- it would be so nice to have the answer now and not have to go through another procedure. I'd be tempted, too, if they were going to do plastic surgery anyway, to get a few other things taken care of. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, maybe you will soon get all these things taken care of and have no more follow ups for a while! I don't have diabetes, but it sure runs in my family, so I need to be doing better with the exercise and diet too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update. I am not diabetic but your post has motivated me to be more consistent with the exercise. (o:

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin