Monday, November 02, 2009

Doctors Everywhere

I've begun a new round of doctor's visits, hopefully for just a short time. This time it's a skin problem. I've had a lesion, for lack of a better word, on my right temple for quite some time now. It wasn't growing, itching, hurting, or changing colors, but it wasn't going away, either. My family doctor's first evaluation of it was that it was non-cancerous, but he wasn't sure exactly what it was. He gave me a small tube of cortisone cream to use on it, and when that was gone, I went back to him. The lesion had shrunk just a little (another indication that it is non-cancerous), but it did puzzle him why it hadn't gone away, so he suggested a visit to the dermatologist. He also wanted to do a biopsy, but since we were about to go on our cruise, he said to come back in October for the biopsy.

I went last Wednesday for that procedure. The biopsy itself was painless. He froze the area around it, then took out a tiny little scoop of it for testing. I have an appointment next week to find out the results. The pain set in later that evening! It felt like something was stinging and burning in my temple. I joked that it felt like someone had taken a slice out of my face! LOL It was sore for a couple of days, but now it's healing nicely and not painful unless I bump it.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about this thing. On Friday of last week my thoughts wandered far and wide and I had myself convinced that I have skin cancer and don't have long to live. On Saturday morning I woke up to God's promises scrolling through my mind, things like, "I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee," and "Lo, I am with you alway." I also remembered, "What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee." I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Lord is in complete control of my life and health, but that doesn't keep me from being afraid every now and then. I think that's natural, but it's not necessary to remain afraid! Each day brings more comfort and assurance, and I'm sure if this turns out to be something serious, God will make Himself even more real to me.

I did do some research on this lesion. My family doctor called it an erythematous plaque (that's plaque, not plague!), which seems to be a somewhat generic term for "some kind of pinkish thing on your skin." LOL I haven't been to the dermatologist yet, so I don't have anything more specific than that to go on, but the closest thing I could find to match my skin lesion is a condition that is related to diabetes. The plaques are usually found on the legs and hands, but can appear on the face or neck; they're benign and usually go away on their own after about two years. I'm hoping this is what my lesion is. Of course, I'll know more after my follow-up visit with my doctor and the dermatologist. If you think of me, please pray for an accurate diagnosis and peace in my heart no matter what that diagnosis is.

5 comments:

  1. Praying for you, Susan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm praying for you!! I know all about those sleepless nights and the mind racing to all kinds of conclusions. It's very unsettling. God does hold you in the palm of His hand and He cares so much for you. Rest in those thoughts and the fact that He cares so much. As one who has been through a lot of health concerns, I know how hard it is sometimes, but the best thing I can tell you is to either read your Bible or listen to uplifting CD messages from your favorite Bible teacher. This helps me a lot and keeps my mind where it should be - on the Lord.

    I'm praying; God bless you - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. praying for you! I know how stressful it is waiting for answers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you the best outcome, which I'm sure will not be anything serious. Doesn't sound like fun though. Hope it gets better soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can understand perfectly the concern. I hope and pray it is nothing serious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin