Monday, October 05, 2009

Doctor's Visit

I had a good visit with my endocrinologist today; I'm pleased with what he had to say. I learned a few things and got some good news I thought I'd share with you.

Exercise seems to be the answer for just about everything! My doctor said he tells all his patients that exercise can do far more for them than he can with all the medication available. So you can guess what his prescription was for me today - daily exercise! He did say it doesn't have to be a full-blown workout at the gym; it can be as simple as a 20-minute walk on the treadmill.

Daily exercise helps control blood sugar immediately, then up to 36 hours, and eventually helps your body become less resistant to the insulin the pancreas produces. This helps break that vicious cycle of eating, blood-sugar spike, insulin spike - which increases insulin resistance. Exercise helps the body use its own insulin more efficiently.

I'm finally understanding why my morning blood sugar levels are so high and hopefully how to deal with them. The liver produces sugar constantly, and during the night sugar is slowly getting into the blood stream. Near dawn, hormones also begin to rise to help me wake up, and these two factors make my blood sugar rise. Right now I'm taking a little extra medicine at supper time, then having a small protein/carb snack before bed to stimulate my pancreas to produce enough insulin to keep my sugar levels more steady till morning. So far . . . sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The last resort is a long-acting insulin before bed, but that is a long way off unless my overall levels begin to rise.

Which brings me to the good news: barring any problems, I don't have to go back to the endo for a year! I have to keep up my 3-month visits to my family doctor, but that's all. So I'm praising the Lord tonight for a great doctor's visit!

And that's enough about the fascinating subject of diabetes! LOL

10 comments:

  1. That is great! Trips to the doctor are never fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great report, Susan! My appt to the doctor for my diabetes is this Thursday and I am eager to hear my numbers because my levels are pretty stable now. Thanks for sharing what he said about the morning levels-I have always had a problem with high morning readings too....I was just told to eat protein/no carb at night. Have a great day!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to hear you got such a good report and I appreciate your sharing what you've learned. (o:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea! Rejoicing with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is great! For me it is a struggle with my diabetes but God keeps me alive. Blessing with it. Prayers just said for ya...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rejoicing here tooo!


    HOPE~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you got a good report! Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is some valuable information!!! It motivates me to get back on the treadmill.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I am so glad that you received good news.

    Exercise is so wonderful! Walking makes me feel great and I do these awesome dvds too. they are high impact! they really have made a great difference in my vericos veins. They were so terribly swollen before I started exercising all the time.

    I hope and pray that you won´t have to have any more isulin for a good long while.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a diabetic and taking insulin. I have to have A1C done for 3 month average. Also, stress adds to the frustration of keeping your BS under control. So stay as stress free as possible. Your info was good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin