Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Repost: How To Be Miserable


This short devotion was written by a dear online friend several years ago, and I first published it on my blog shortly after she wrote it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. It really made me think about how I can make myself miserable without even trying!

Count your troubles, name them one by one, at the breakfast table if anyone will listen, or as soon as possible thereafter.

Pity yourself. If you do enough of this, nobody else will have to do it for you.

Devise clever but decent ways to serve God and mammon. After all, a man’s gotta live.

Make it your business to find out what your neighbors are buying this year and where they are going. Try to do them at least one better even if you have to take out a loan to do it.

Stay away from absolutes. It's what's right for you that matters. Be your own person and don’t allow yourself to get hung up on what others expect of you.

Make sure you get your rights. Never mind other people’s. You have your life to live, they have theirs.

Don’t fall into any compassion traps-the situation where people can walk all over you. If you get too involved in other people’s troubles, you may neglect your own.

Don’t let Bible reading and prayer get in the way of what’s really relevant-things like TV and newspapers. Invisible things are eternal. You want to stick with the visible ones-they’re where it’s at NOW.

Ladies, we will never be happy, or content, or fulfilled until we are living the death life.

John 12:24
Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.


Are you living MISERABLE today?


Originally posted on August 17, 2005

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I do a few of those things and realize, "Man, I am really acting miserable!"
    It´s good to stop and think about it and change it right away. Like I tell my boys to do. Gotta take some of this advice that´s for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw something like this in an old Elizabeth Elliot newsletter. It's all too true!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin