Thursday, September 03, 2009

Canada: A Mission Field?

When Jesus left this earth, He gave his disciples - and us - a Great Commission: "Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel . . . " I'm sure everyone who is saved would agree that all means . . . well, ALL. We should be reaching people for Christ next door, in our hometown, our region, our country, and every other country around the world, and we would all agree that we do that by supporting missionaries. All around the world. Every country. But there's one country that many Americans never even think of as a mission field, and that country is the one in which I live - Canada.

Flags of Canadian Provinces Waving on Flag Poles against a Blue Sky
Flags of Canadian Provinces Waving on Flag Poles against a Blue Sky


My blog friend Deborah posted about this one day last week in her post Friday Features: Mission Field - Canada. Her post reminded me of our experience at times as we were raising our support to come here to start a church. Some American pastors would not even consider supporting a missionary to Canada because, in their words, Canada is not a mission field. It's an industrialized, wealthy nation, a leader in the world. Many believe that Canada has the same religious heritage that the US has; therefore its people have the Gospel already.

Obviously, not all pastors feel this way, because we are here, and many other missionary families are in this country. We know of at least two new independent fundamental Baptist churches starting this month, one in Ontario and one here in BC. Our older son is planning to come back to Canada to start a church after college; the town he feels called to is one that has no Gospel-preaching church in it.


In the Greater Vancouver area, there are over 2.5 million people from all over the world who consider Jesus just another prophet or religious figure, the founder of one of the world's major religions - that is, if they've even heard the name of Jesus. And then there are those who have no religion or a false religion. To my knowledge, there are less than ten fundamental Baptist churches in this area. That's one church for every 200,000 people. We're not quite running that yet, and neither are any of the other churches. There's still the need for more workers. And that's just Vancouver.

Canada not a mission field??? I disagree!

Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly [is] great, but the labourers [are] few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest. Luke 10:2

11 comments:

  1. I think the nearest IFB churches to me are about 90 min away in each direction via the Coquihalla. We don't drive so it might as well be 8 hours. When Kristy at Canadian Chronicles spoke of a BC church plant I was like "Please please let it be here!" lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do need more churches in Vancouver and I thank you for being a missionary here in the Greater Vancouver area. God bless you and your family.

    I'm so happy to hear Samuel is coming back here to start a church!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angelique ~ The new church plant in BC is in Williams Lake - is that near you? I hope so!

    Deanna ~ We are so glad to be here! :) Sam is looking at Prince Rupert (waaayyy on up there, but at least in BC!). Pastor Hallmark and Pastor Baduria were thrilled that he is looking at going up there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you are willing to serve in Canada or anywhere. God aleady knows those who have needed you the most! Thank you for serving.
    -mrs.m.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope, not near me. Good for Williams Lake though! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Angelique, I'm sorry! I was hoping it would be close to you. We'll have to keep praying for a church in your area.

    Mrs. M ~ We consider it a privilege to serve the Lord anywhere - just as every saved person who's serving Him everywhere! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't remember if I have told you this or not but I got to visit B.C. including Vancouver in June. I was there with my sister and two girlfriends. We had a fabulous time enjoying God's beauty in another part of the country (we are Texans). Parts were absolutely breathtaking!

    I know you and your family are a blessing where you are serving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In Acts 1 Jesus said to go into all the world. He started off the list with Jerusalem. Where ever your homefront is that is your Jerusalem. So in your case Canada is your mission field just like where I live should be my mission field. And then we can expand and go further to other mission fields.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diana ~ Texans! We moved here from TX after spending 14 years there, in Ft. Worth. Two of my babies were born there. I'm so glad you got to come visit here. It IS a beautiful city and country - just an added bonus for us! :)

    Corene ~ You're so right about Jerusalem being where we start, but Vancouver is not my original Jerusalem! ;) I was speaking more about Americans not thinking of Canada as a mission field, hence some pastors won't support a missionary to Canada. We are originally from the Carolinas, and moved here from TX - so we are considered "missionaries" as in we moved to another country to build a church! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had friends several years ago who moved to Spain as missionaries. Someone we knew took offence, seeing Spain as a Christian nation. I had to explain that despite a Christian heritage, Europe has become increasingly less faithful since WWII. Many in Spain attend no church at all. If Spaniards will not evangelize their own country, other Christians are needed to fill the gap. I'm sure Canada is no different.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mrs. HH ~ I haven't seen you in a while - thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! :) When we first surrendered our lives to come here to Canada, I made the mistake of telling a Canadian on an online forum (a Baptist one, at that!) that we were going to be missionaries to his country. He got very offended! So I began to learn that not everyone sees missions as we do, sadly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin