Monday, August 17, 2009

Trying Again: Week 1

Thank you all for your encouragement concerning trying the Weight Loss Challenge again. I was a little embarrassed to be starting over, and last week wasn't the huge success I'd hoped it would be. I was thinking about all that this morning as I exercised and realized that if I hadn't posted that last week and then at least tried to follow through, I wouldn't have done as well as I did, even though it was far from perfect. Sometimes we just have to turn our thinking around and see the situation from another angle!

A couple of you had questions, so I thought I'd answer them here this week in hopes of being a help to others who might wonder the same things.

SueAnn asked, "Will you arrange for us to have a weekly time to share or success?"

If you're joining in on this challenge, my accountability post each Monday morning is where you can post your success for the past week. Just leave a comment! What do you think? Should I add them to the post out here so everyone can see them? It would be a huge encouragement to see how others are doing! Incidentally, SueAnne has already lost 50 pounds this past year - that's fantastic!

Larissa said, "I am intrigued by your points system is that each day?"

Yes, the points are added up each day for a total of 8 points each day. At the end of the week, you're allowed two "freebie" points for any oopses you had. If you got perfect points every day, give yourself two bonus points for the week. Then at the end of the 6 weeks, give yourself one bonus point for every pound you lost. That's it!

So now we come to how well I did last week. I have to admit it was harder this time than it was the first time, and I didn't do well at all over the weekend. My biggest obstacle seems to be exercise; I just flat-out don't want to do it! But my goal is to exercise five out of seven days this week (already exercised today!).

Here's my point tally for last week: 44 points out of a possible 56, and I did not lose any weight. That was not encouraging at all, but I have to remember that the root of my diabetes is weight-loss resistance, and one of my medications can cause weight gain, so it will be hard to lose weight. I've found in the past that exercise helps with blood sugar levels and that my body shape begins to change if I'm faithful to exercise several times a week, so I'm trying to shift my focus from losing weight to maintaining good blood sugar levels and shaping up what I have. My age and illness have ganged up on me! There I go having to switch my thinking again!

How are you doing this week? Working on any health or fitness issues?

8 comments:

  1. good for you to keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm praying you lose the weight that you want to. I'm trying to drop pounds too. You are right about age...the metabolism slows down. Ugh.

    Blessings! Nancy J Locke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:58 PM

    44 out of 56 points - sounds like you did a lot of things very right. And your health will benefit from it. I am still about 30 lbs. overweight, but with the weight loss and excersise my high blood pressure is normal and my pulse rate is low. It's amazing to me that just eating right and excersising can restore a lot of our good health. Susan, I'll bet with just the changes you are making now you'll see a vast improvement in your blood sugar whether the scales show it or not on a weekly basis. And that is the most important thing.

    As for me, I'm afraid I did not keep track of my points, but I did loose six pounds ! I was very consious about my carbs and sugars. I didn't eat sugar at all ( thank you, Jesus, for Splenda ! ) and hardly any carbs. I'm not diabetic, but for some reason my 45 yr. old body just doesn't tolerate carbs and sugars anymore. This is the first time since last November that I've lost any weight, so I'm very excited. I plan on going very low carb for at least one more week.
    I did excersise five days last week ( one hour of walking or stationary bike with a little weight lifting here and there ). Thanks for this challenge - it's just the push I needed.
    SueAnne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its Ok to start over, and over, and over, if necessary. People talk about how bad yoyo dieting is, but, if I hadn't dieted at all, just think how fat I'd be!

    I have been working out 2-3 times a week for four full weeks now, and I exercised this morning already. I also have made a decision not to exercise until I had read my Bible. exercise for the soul and the body!

    Stormie Omartian reminds us that any exercise or diet change helps, so I am encouraged to keep at it.
    Blessings!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan
    Thank you for explaining that to me. Now I know the rules I'll be joining you! I'm in Australia so I'm trying to lose 16kg (45lb)I am very underactive and my portion sizes for meals are WAY too large. If I reduce the amount I eat and eat more often as well as exercise more often I'll be a long way down the road! I'm hoping to post on your blog next Monday with my progress.
    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your kind words! This week has been bumpy already, but hopefully things will even out as the week progresses.

    SueAnne, congrats on losing six pounds! I hope you'll continue doing well. Let us know each week how you're doing!

    Rhonda, you've made some good goals! Your Bible-reading one wouldn't work for me - I would read my Bible and ignore exercising! LOL It's true that any thing we do that's good for our bodies, no matter how small, is a help.

    Larissa, I'm looking forward to your reports! Sounds like you have the right idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops! "Pastor Wes" was actually me! I was on his computer and didn't even think about the login being his instead of mine! Although he does read my blog, he rarely comments, even to me in person, and he wouldn't comment personally to any of you anyway! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Susan! Keep on it, girl. It´s a life long thing. Look at it as a life style. That has helped me a lot. It´s a fitness journey not a diet.

    I will join you but I probably won´t post my weight on my blog. I promised that I wouldn´t do that. :) since January I have lost 25lbs. Now I am on to losing the last 10.

    I am doing a 30 day program and am on day 9. I haven´t lost any but have been toning a bunch.

    God is good and will give us the strength we need!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin