Saturday, July 04, 2009

Catching Up

When I began typing the title for this post, the auto-fill feature of my browser showed me that I've used this title before! It's been a busy week, so I thought I'd just catch you up on a few things going on in our family.

Of course, Wednesday was our Canada Day picnic. We had about 60 people there, between our church and Urban Community Baptist Church from downtown Vancouver. We had tons of food, the typical burgers and hot dogs with all the trimmings, which the churches provided. The members of each church brought salads, chips, and desserts. I love trying new salads, and I love having potato salad, something I only eat about once a year. And cream puffs - oh how I love those little cream puffs you buy frozen in the little tubs! Yes, I did eat some, probably more than I should have, but that is the only sweet I ate. The weather was perfect, not a cloud in the sky and the temperature was . . . ahem . . . around 75 degrees. Wes talked to our former pastor in Arkansas that morning, and he told Wes to bop anyone in the head who dared to complain that it was hot! LOL Actually, at one point I got my jacket out of the car because the wind was a bit chilly in the shade. I'm sorry. The kids and teens played volleyball, and we also had games of badminton, horseshoes, and bocci ball going. We had a short service late in the afternoon. We sang some hymns, Wes and Pastor Beliveau brought short messages, and we sang the Canadian national anthem. I still cry when we sing it - actually, I cry when either the Canadian or US anthem is sung. The last line of O Canada is "O Canada, we stand on guard for thee." That is our calling - to stand on guard for this country, make it our own, and win as many people as we can to the Lord Jesus Christ. And that is what brings tears to my eyes.

All summer Wes's parents have been trying to make arrangements for Beth to come and visit them while they're in the US for my father-in-law to have surgery and recover. He's doing well, other than some ear infections and such as that. A couple of weeks ago, they called and said everything was in order for Beth to come, just schedule her flight. That flight takes place this Wednesday! She'll fly in to Charlotte, NC, where my dad will pick her up to stay with them a couple of days. Then my father-in-law will drive up from GA to get her to spend a week with him and my mother-in-law. They're planning to go to NC to visit more family the day before she flies home, so they'll stop and visit my parents again. She'll be gone a total of nine days. Now, I'm glad she's getting to visit her grandparents; that happens far too little in our family due to our all being so spread out. But what's a mama supposed to do without her only daughter for nine days??? I guess I'll find out!

In just a little less than two months, our second son begins college. Andrew keeps me laughing - when I'm not pulling my hair out over his shenanigans - and I often ask him who's going to make me laugh when he's not here anymore. He is so excited about finally getting started on his own life (I remember that excitement!), but just like with his older brother, I feel kind of like I'm getting left behind in the dust. Please don't think I'm mourning away or trying to hold him back . . . it's just that this stage of life, winding down their training and letting them try those wings we've been working on all these years, is one of the most exciting times we've lived through with our children, yet one of the hardest. I will miss this second boy of mine, and though it's hard to see him go, I would never hold him back from beginning his life, realizing his dreams.

Sam is thoroughly enjoying his summer tour. He loves to travel, and one of his dreams since he was a little boy has been to visit New England. He's in PA right now, about to head into those New England states. There's a possibility he'll get to visit with my sister and her family, as my brother-in-law is from MA, and many of their supporting churches are in New England, which they'll be visiting this summer. Another dream of Sam's is to visit every MLB ballpark, and he's now up to 7, thanks to tour! ;) On a sad note, it's beginning to look like he won't get to come home at all this summer. I will live. I think.

Well, this is long enough. I hope all of my Canadian and American readers have had a good week of celebrations! Enjoy your weekend, and I'll see you next week!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good week! Do you celebrate the 4th, too? Or would that be weird as missionaries? It's neat that Canada and the USA's birthdays are so close.

    "Catching up" was part of my post title yesterday, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't celebrate the 4th this year, mainly because it was on Saturday, so seeing fireworks was out of the question. Our double celebration happens at Thanksgiving - since they're six weeks apart! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin