Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Trying New Foods

Since we're trying to eat five or more servings a day of veggies and fruit, I'm attempting to cook a few new-to-us veggies. Tonight I made roasted asparagus. I love pickled asparagus, and steamed asparagus is ok, so I wanted to try it roasted to see if I liked that better.

I looked up "roasted asparagus" on Google, and one of the first results was a video called Ridiculously Easy Roast Asparagus. I watched it, and sure enough, it looked easy. So I washed my asparagus, snapped off the bottom ends, drizzled the spears with olive oil and sprinkled them with salt and pepper (the video calls for coarse salt and freshly-ground pepper, but I just used what I had, which is regular old salt & pepper). I roasted them for 20 minutes, then drizzled them with balsamic vinegar right before I served them. It was delicious! The tips get nice and browned and caramelize just a bit - so yummy! The only thing I will do differently next time is roast them for a shorter time; our oven runs a bit hot, so the 20 minutes was a bit too much time.

Here's the video so you can try it too.



What are some of your favorite veggies, and how do you fix them? I want to move beyond potatoes and corn! LOL

4 comments:

  1. My current favorite is mushrooms. YUM. We like them on pizza, in eggs, with chicken, on the grill...

    That's somethign really yummy - make a foil packet for the grill and fill it with summer veggies. We've done onions (all carmely and golden, oh wow), onions and mushrooms, mushrooms, corn, potatoes, potatoes and onions, etc, yellow squash, zucchini - basically all those yummy summer squash veggies taste great in a foil packet on the grill.

    We also love squash of all kinds around here. Butternut is a favorite - baked and scooped out, served with just a little butter and salt and pepper.

    Sweet potatoes, as long as you don't put too much brown sugar on them. We like those with butter, salt, and pepper too.

    Artichokes are another one that we're learning to like, but to be honest, I don't know how to fix them fresh. I take a jar of marinated artichoke hearts, drain it, and mix it in with 4 or so browned chicken breasts (cook the cubed chicken with 3-4 cloves minced garlic and a couple cups mushrooms) and bake all that......oh wow. We NEVER seem to have leftovers of that!

    My husband also really likes broccoli and squash casserole, but we don't eat it often as we're trying to get away from using canned cream soups. I can make it without the soups, but haven't found a way where I like it as well. Oh well, right?

    In the winter, we don't have nearly as much variety with our veggies. In the summer though.....we can go days just eating veggies around here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I have some asparagus from the farmer's market, and I'll have to try this tonight!

    My mom roasts carrots, but I've not tried that yet.

    I like to get fresh green beans, and there are several recipes I have for those.

    Zuchini squash is good sauteed in olive oil. Alone, or with some onions and mushrooms.

    Oh, I have experimented with different ways to prepare asparagus, and have seared it with garlic (yummy) and a different time used balsamic vinegar (also yummy). Asparagus is one of those vegetables that has grown on me over a period of time.

    For veggie dishes, you can look on allrecipes.com or recipezaar.com for more ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, we had our first fried squash of the season this week! I just slice them lengthwise, flour them and fry them in oil, turning once. We LOVE them at our house.

    I need to eat asparagus, everyone makes it sound so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to chop broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots into small bite-sized pieces, add a little minced onion, chicken bouillon, and water, and microwave to whatever point of doneness you like. I like mine softer than my husband does.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin