Thursday, May 28, 2009

Cooking Veggies

Thank you all for your veggie suggestions! I've gotten some new ideas and have been reminded of a few old ones. We do experiment with squash, but Wes is a southern boy and likes it fried! We even had some fried eggplant the other night. I sliced it thin, coated it with cornmeal and fried it for a few minutes on each side in vegetable oil, which is how I fix any kind of squash. And okra, when I can find it. And we can't find yellow crook-neck squash at all; they don't even know what I'm talking about when I ask for it!

I've also been on a fried potato kick lately - slice them thin, skin-on, and fry in a single layer in oil. Some of them get crispy, others just soften. I use seasoned salt and pepper to flavor them, but no onion; hubby and kids are not onion lovers, although I am.

I have never made a squash or broccoli casserole, although I've eaten them and love them. Knowing my family as I do, I don't think they would like either one, so I just haven't made them. Maybe I could make a small one, just to try it.

Ohhh . . . I can't forget the garlic mashed potatoes! I found one lonely Paula Deen cookbook, Paula Deen Celebrates, at the library, and in it she has her Garlic Mashed Potatoes. I am in love! They are delicious. I don't think I'll make plain old mashed potatoes ever again!

2 comments:

  1. I just posted a broccoli casserole recipe on my blog this past Monday. I don't care for broccoli and neither do 3 of my kids, but we eat this and like it! I don't like onions much either, but those French's dried onions give this casserole a nice crunch. So, maybe your family would like this. http://simplysandras.blogspot.com/2009/05/broccoli-casserole.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came over from Hospitality Lane. I like your blog!

    I just posted a veggie recipe, if you're interested in taking a look. It's different, but good.

    http://bluebarnbulletin.blogspot.com/2009/06/jicama-slaw.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin