Saturday, January 10, 2009

Fast-Paced Week

What a week we've had! Every year we go down to the Preacher's Delight conference in Tacoma, WA, the first week of January. It's our after-the-holiday family break, more for spiritual refreshment than for a physically refreshing vacation. There's a service on Monday night, Tuesday morning, and Tuesday night, and the church provides supper after the night services, and lunch after the Tuesday morning service. We see pastor friends we haven't seen all year, make new friends, and fellowship with our Canadian pastor friends. The big thing this year was the weather: Sunday night was snowy again, and we considered cancelling the trip. All the roads were horrible on Sunday night! Monday morning we woke up to rain and temps above freezing, so we decided to go ahead with our trip. We didn't have any more snow, but oh my - the rain!!! Parts of I-5 south of Seattle were closed because they are literally under water. Thankfully, though, although we saw lots of high water, we didn't see any flooding, and we made it safely home on Wednesday evening.

Part of the fun of the conference is getting to shop on the way home! ;) We always save some of the money we get as Christmas gifts to go shopping in the US. If we stay out of Canada for more than 48 hours, our duty-free allowance increases considerably, so we're able to spend enough to make it worthwhile. I received a Christopher & Banks gift card, so that was my main destination. They were having 50% off sale prices this week, so I was able to get $180 worth of clothes for considerably less than half that price, and I still have money left on my gift card! All three of the kids went into Aeropostale and came out with some great bargains. I think they spent less than $50 total and got 2 shirts, 2 sweaters, and a hoodie. One of my Christmas gifts from Wes was a pair of beautiful hoop earrings - but they were so heavy in my ears that they were uncomfortable. So I asked him if I could exchange them. He was fine with that, but doubtful we would find anything for the same price, as he'd gotten them on clearance (my bargain-shopping man!). Well, I was determined to find out if they had anything else, and in we went to the jewelry shop. Would you believe they had the sweetest little dainty earrings that were almost exactly the same price?! Wes did have to pay a little bit more - ONE PENNY more! LOL The sales person said that was the best exchange she'd ever seen! So I got new earrings too, for just one penny, at Zales! ;) Great fun!

Getting home meant starting school again, and that's going fine, although my students were not ready to start back.

I went to Michaels on Thursday and found that the Cuttlebug was on sale for 50% off. I still had more Christmas money, so I thought about it overnight. After encouragement from my husband, I went back Friday and bought it, along with some dies and embossing folders. Now I'm having fun learning all the things I can do, and hopefully will have some new things in my Etsy shop soon, as well as making some fun things to use myself. If you have any good ideas for using the CB, please let me know. I'm pretty new to it.

This is getting long. I have more to say - no surprise there - including a meeting with a sweet blog friend in Tacoma. I'll post about that a little later; the pictures we took are still in the camera, and there's a ton of other pictures too. So that's going to take some time to download and sift through, and time is at a premium these days. I'll be back soon! Have a great weekend!

6 comments:

  1. HI SUSAN. I HAD WONDERED WHAT ALL YOU HAD BEEN UP TO. I WAS SO EXCITED TO SEE THAT YOU HAD A POST!
    GLAD YOU AND YOUR FAMILY HAD A SAFE TRIP. WE GET BACK TO SCHOOL ON MONDAY. HAVE A BLESSED LORDS DAY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, check out The Craftiblog - http://craftiblog.wordpress.com/ for ideas on using the Cuttlebug. Once you start using it, you'll be addicted; ask me how I know!

    Blessings,
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got a Cuttlebug several weeks ago with some Amazon reward certificates -- at the time they had it cheaper than anyone else. But would you believe between Christmas and everything else I haven't even taken it out of the box yet? Nor my new Cricut from Christmas (I also have a bargain-hunting husband -- he didn't tell me how much he spent but he said it was an unbelievable deal). I am hoping to get them out this week to "play." The lady who spoke to our ladies' group about card-making a couple of months ago had a Cuttlebug she found at a flea market, and it is sooo neat.

    Glad you had a refreshing and safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Liesa! We're all fine - just haven't been home and not much time for blogging since we got home.

    Ginny, I went over there, and that lady has some talent! Lots of CB ideas - thanks!

    Barbara, I haven't had much time to do more than just figure out how it works. No time yet to make anything! You're really going to have fun with TWO new toys! I can't wait to see what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for great deals!!! :)

    I love the line "After encouragement from my husband, I went back Friday and bought it." I just can't imagine my husband ever ENCOURAGING me to buy something, especially if it was from Michael's (one of my heavens on earth). :) :) So that just made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there ;)

    Just stopping in to say hello. I was reading about your trip to Tacoma. I am just south of you! We are in Kalama Washington.
    We did have some flooding in and around us. North of us was worst. I am glad you were able to take your trip. I'm sure it was a blessing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin