Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Remembering MaMa

Today would have been the 84th birthday of my "step" grandmother, Evelyn Gaines. She was a sweet, sweet lady. She was only my grandmother for about 20 years, and I was already 16 before I came into her family, but she never made me feel any less her grandchild than any of her real grandchildren. We lived next door to her and PaPa for the 3 years I lived at home after my parents' marriage, and I quickly found that I could walk right in just like my brother and sister could. She made me welcome in her family. I don't remember calling her anything other than MaMa - she was never even Mrs. Gaines to me!

MaMa was a little younger than my own grandmothers, and she was much more "hip", for lack of a better word, than my grandmothers. She dressed fashionably and had a spring in her step and a youthful heart. She never seemed to be "old" to me! She was always ready to have some fun! She loved to joke and always quick to laugh. She was also very talented. She had a ceramics and porcelain shop in her back yard. She made porcelain dolls and their clothes, and all of us kept telling her she could sell them for hundreds of dollars, but she wouldn't sell them - she said they were her babies! She also made almost anything you could think of in ceramic, and there was always something in progress on her closed-in back porch. If any of us wanted to make something, she was willing to jump right in with us and show us how to do it.

MaMa passed away suddenly on a November day in 2003. She had gone to the hospital because she wasn't feeling well, and passed away unexpectedly just a little while later. It was quite a shock, and we all have missed her so much. We know she was saved and we'll see her again someday, praise the Lord!

I've tried to find a picture of MaMa, but I don't have any on my computer. Here are a couple of her dolls, though. My mom saved them for Beth and me when MaMa passed away. Which means the world to me!

4 comments:

  1. Gentle hugs today on your mama's birthday!!

    Merry Christmas my friend!

    Julieann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is precious, Susan...what a sweet reunion you will have one day...
    Deby

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful memories of your Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet post! Your mama sure was talented!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin