Sunday, December 14, 2008

December Daily: Tour of Homes

BooMamaChristmasTour

It's time for BooMama's Holiday Tour of Homes! If you're visiting my blog for the first time, let me give you a warm Canadian welcome. We are a pastor's family of five living in the Vancouver, BC, area. We moved here four years ago from Ft. Worth, TX, to begin a church, and the Lord has blessed us with a wonderful group of people to make us feel right at home in our new country.

First is a picture of our fireplace. I waited 23 years to have a fireplace, and I love having such a homey, old-fashioned one to decorate. The porcelain doll on the left side of the hearth belonged to my Grandma, who passed away just after we moved here. I also have pictures of our family on the hearth. Last year I got the PEACE stocking holders on sale, was thrilled to death with them - and then realized our stockings are too long to hang safely over the fireplace! And on Christmas morning, when they're full, their weight pulls the hangers down anyway. So I hung some of my Norman Rockwell ornaments on the stocking holders. Please overlook the fact that they're not hanging evenly! On the left of the mantel is my set of Willow Tree figurines - Love, Peace, and Joy - and my church birdhouse on the right. I have it sitting on a couple of antique books.

Next is our Christmas tree. My younger son and daughter decorated it for me this year. It's done in blue and silver (not for the Dallas Cowboys!), after I said in my Christmas meme that we used all kinds of colors on our tree! Kids, I tell ya! If you have younger kids and think it's crazy trying to decorate with them, just wait till you have teens decorating together! ;) We have a few gifts under the tree; we'll finish our shopping this week after our older son comes home from college for Christmas break.

Finally, help yourself to some Chocolate Crinkles (recipe in link). This is one of our favorite Christmas cookie recipes. My daughter Beth made these - she's our resident baker. We plan to make several different kinds of cookies tomorrow to send to family down south and to give to our downstairs neighbor.

I hope you've enjoyed this Christmas tour of our home. Feel free to look around elsewhere and get to know us a bit better, and I hope you'll come back again! Be sure to visit BooMama for more holiday home tours!

Merry Christmas!

16 comments:

  1. well as your blog is the one directly before mine on the tour AND we share the same name I thought that I should visit you first ...
    the cookies were wonderful
    have a blessed Christmas
    Susan from OZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful decorations on your fireplace. Thank you for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful tree and yummy cookies.


    Merry Christmas!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh these are great Susan...I love your fireplace....it is so cozy and such a great focal point...
    those cookies look yummmm-o....
    Deby

    ReplyDelete
  5. you have a lovely home...and i LOVE chocolate crinkle cookies...i grew up making those with my mama, and i've never met anyone who knew about them...and yours are beautiful. have a merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks lovely, Susan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tree looks beautiful! And those cookies even better...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your fireplace and your tree. Both are beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to try your recipe.

    Best wishes to you and our family this Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything looks warm and homey! We have the same problem with stocking holders -- I had thought the bigger ones like you have would do better, but I guess not. I love chocolate crinkles -- haven't made them in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhhhhhhh I feel at home!!! Go to my blog and you'll see why. Well, OK - - - I'll tell you - - - we use the same template.

    Thanks for giving us the tour. I enjoyed it.

    Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cozy fireplace. Thanks so much for sharing your lovely home with us. Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year to You!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So this is why we have kids... so someday they can do the baking and decorating! Ah... just kidding. Everything looks beautiful and yummy!

    I guess you are used to the weather up there by now but WOW what a difference from Fort Worth.

    Thanks for stopping by my home tour too... Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Susan,
    Thanks for visiting my tour this past week. I love your brick fireplace and those cookies look so good. Could you pass me one please?! Have a very Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. chocolate crinkles???

    YUMMMMMMMM!

    Have a wonderful Christmas with many nights by your fire!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin