Tuesday, December 02, 2008

December Daily: Diabetes Clinic and Health

Since December Daily is partially about what makes up my life for this month, I'll share my diabetes clinic visit with you from this morning. This was a follow-up from the classes I took this summer, to see how I'm doing and for the clinic staff to make recommendations for better care.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect. They didn't tell me what to bring with me (and I didn't think to ask, of course!), so I went in with no idea what they would be doing. It turned out to be a very pleasant visit! I spoke with two ladies, a diabetes educator and a nutritionist, who took lots and lots of time with me, answered all my questions, and gave me some good advice.

My blood work from September, when I first went to the endocrinologist, was good. They were excited about that! The nutritionist reviewed my eating patterns with me, and she has given me a plan, very similar to my plate method to help me lose weight. I had a lightbulb moment when she said, "Don't eat to feed the pills; eat to control carbs."

If you don't have diabetes, you're probably scratching your head, wondering what that means. To put it as simply as I can, when you take the type of diabetes medication that I do, it makes your pancreas produce more insulin to make use of the carbohydrates in the food you eat. If you eat fewer carbs, the pills don't know that; they just keep your pancreas making the same amount of insulin, which will cause your sugar levels to go too low - you experience the symptoms of low blood sugar. The natural reaction to that is to eat more carbs (more calories) to keep your sugar from getting too low. What she taught me today was to control my carb portions, and if I begin experiencing lows, to check with my doctor and use less medication. Less medication will help me begin to lose weight, and as I lose weight my blood sugars will go lower, which will decrease my need for medication . . . and so on. In theory, anyway. Is it clear as mud to you? It made a lot of sense to me, and I guess that's good, since I'm the patient.

Are any of you diabetic, or have a diabetic living with you? Please share what kind of things you do to control your carbs, or what you've done to lose weight. Oh . . . the overall consensus was that I need to exercise every day. Not a few times a week. Sigh. The elliptical makes it easier to get some exercise every day, but it doesn't throw a lasso around me as I walk by and set me up on it! ;) I have to just do it. Period.

Another note on health: I've been using oil of oregano on a blemish on the side of my face, and it's going away! I was originally going to use it for topical pain relief, but I was hurting in too many/too large areas for it to be practical. I smelled like oregano. So I focused on this skin patch. I began reading the book The Cure is in the Cupboard, but I haven't gotten far enough in it to have learned much yet. I'm not one to jump on the herbal bandwagon, so I'll have to keep using the oil in small amounts to see just what it can do.

Hopefully I'll have more interesting discussion for the rest of December!

Image from Widgit Resources - Diabetes Symbols

2 comments:

  1. My mom had Type 2 diabetes, but she really didn't manage her carbs. I know a few people with diabetes who use an insulin pump, but I think they're all Type 1.

    I am scared of getting it both because my mom had it and I am so overweight. You'd think that would motivate me -- but somehow I have this disconnect mentally between what we eat and my lack of exercise and the results. I tend toward low blood sugar now -- if I have just a bowl of cereal, within an hour I am dizzy and shaky and have to eat something else. I need to get things in order before a diabetes diagnosis to hopefully ward one off.

    I'll be interested in hearing what you learn about herbs. I am cautious as well...both because I am in general, plus because I had one friend who was SO into them that it rubbed me the wrong way -- they were the answer to EVERYTHING, so it seemed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:33 AM

    Are you taking Metformin? My brother was diagnosed a couple months before me (he's type 2) and that's what he is taking.

    I was diagnosed on Oct. 24, 2008, when I was rushed to the hospital at 4:00 a.m. by my beloved. I had a blood gluose level of over 700 and weighed in at 81 pounds, with type 1. By the way, I am 41 years old.

    I am currently taking 10 units of Lantus (long acting insulin) per day. What is difficult for me is that pre-diagnosis I ate only one low carb meal per day. Now, they say I HAVE to eat carbs but where it makes no sense is that the carbs I eat cause my blood gluose level to go up.

    Last night we had chili with rice and skillet cornbread and chocolate chip cookies for supper. I wanted a cookie and opted to leave off the rice (used romaine lettuce in it's place) and didn't eat the cornbread. I did however enjoy a small (!) cookie. When I checked it a few hours after eating my BG was 161 mg/dL. About an hour later my BG was at 83 mg/dL. I should have waited until bedtime to eat that cookie, but by that time my grand-darling would have been gone. sigh...I am praying that God will cause the beast within to vacate my body asap.

    May God bless you,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin