Tuesday, December 23, 2008

December Daily: Christmas Memories

I thought I'd share some of my favorite Christmas memories with you today. I have several favorites! LOL So I'll share some from various times of my life.

One of my favorite Christmas memories is when I was about 11 years old. My dad was in Bible college and my mother had just become sick with the illness that eventually took her life. I knew my parents had no extra money that year, and it truly didn't bother me not to have a tree or presents. My dad's brother took me out one night and bought us a tree, took me home and helped me decorate it. I've never forgotten what he did; just a simple act of caring, with no fanfare or expectations of repayment. That's just the kind of man he is!

Another favorite memory is the Christmas that I was 18. Wes and I had been dating for a couple of years, and he had told me several times that he loved me, but I wouldn't tell him I loved him until I was sure of it. That Christmas I bought him a special card and wrote "I Love You" on the inside. I gave it to him at my aunt's house, where our family had gathered for Christmas. He gasped audibly when he read it, because he knew exactly what that particular "I Love You" meant! ;) I still love him, 25 years later!

The year Samuel was born is another good memory. He was born December 12th, so he was just 2 weeks old, and I wanted that Christmas to be perfect, even though he would never remember it. But we literally had no money, even for a tree. I cried, but there was nothing Wes could do. On Christmas Eve, a check came in the mail for $25.00. We went out and bought a little tree, and I bought a rattle for Samuel that said "Baby's First Christmas." My parents also sent a box with some special ornaments in it that year. It turned out to be a wonderful Christmas - we had our baby, and at the last minute, we were even able to have a tree and a present for our baby!

Finally, one of the Christmases we were on deputation is a favorite. We didn't get home in time to get a tree or decorate. We gave the kids $4.00 each to go to the dollar store and buy gifts for each other and us. They brought their gifts home, wrapped them, and kept them in their rooms till Christmas morning. Then we all brought our gifts out and put them on the dining room table, where we had a great time unwrapping them in our plain old boring dining room! They still remember that year - fondly, I think! I hope that they learned that Christmas is not in the tree, the decorations, or the dollar value of the gifts, but in being together and celebrating Christ's birth.

Are you sharing any special memories on your blog? Please tell us about them, even here in the comments! I'd love to hear about your special holidays.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, fun! I enjoyed reading your memories, and it inspired me to write my own blog post!

    Merry Christmas! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed these! It's funny how we want to have all the elements of Christmas just right, but the more memorable Christmases are the ones where something different happened.

    I wrote about some of our memorable Christmases in way too much detail in past years, but I may do a summary list like this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin