Friday, November 28, 2008

Our Thanksgiving Pumpkin Bread


As I mentioned last night, Beth made six loaves of Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread to give to each family at our Thanksgiving gathering yesterday. This girl loves to bake! I see baking, especially any done in the evening, as work. She sees it as relaxation, much to the delight of her father and brothers - and occasionally our church family, as she makes cookies for Bible study every now and then.


I had seen an idea in Paper Crafts magazine for making bands from decorative papers to go around a loaf of bread, so I decided to try those for our breads. I found a leaf I liked on a kids' craft site, printed it out and copied it onto a piece of posterboard for my template. I cut two leaves for each loaf of bread, one from a textured card stock and one from a parchment-look card stock. On the parchment leaves, I used a background stamp of falling leaves, then embossed them with gold. I inked the edges of the other set of leaves with brown ink, then glued one embossed leaf to one plain leaf and added a button with a piece of crochet thread tied through the holes.


The paper band is made from two different patterned papers, cut in 12" strips and adhered to a strip of the textured card stock, then sewn with a zig zag stitch. The edges of the paper strips are also sponged with brown ink.


I put each loaf into a cellophane bag, tied it with a twist tie, and attached the paper strip, adhering the leaf sets last. I was very pleased with how they looked, although I feel that I need to play with the best way to attach them to the bags. I was in a hurry by that point, so I just had to do the best I could with it. But overall, I liked it and plan to do it again. This was my first time to make something from a magazine picture, and it was much simpler than I thought it would be. You never know how something will turn out till you try!



I'll post Beth's recipe for the pumpkin bread in another post later today!

4 comments:

  1. Those are simply adorable!!! What a thoughtful gift, on both accounts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look of those decorative bands on the bread! That really dresses them up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin