Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Recapping the Weekend

I'm here! I haven't fallen off the face of the earth yet. I've heard reports that Bloglines is not catching all the new posts for some bloggers, so if you think you've missed something, chances are you haven't on my blog. I ended up taking some more time off from blogging after the weekend.

We had a jam-packed weekend! We went to the couples' retreat on Friday morning. This year's retreat was one of the best we've attended. The teaching was the best it's ever been, in my opinion. Pastor Greg Boyle was the speaker, and his theme was The Ministry of Marriage. He based his lessons mainly on the book of the same title by Dr. Jim Binney. We have that book, but we hadn't read it; I'm now reading it because the retreat lessons were so good. I'll try to share a few thoughts on the lessons in the next few days, especially the key thoughts that spoke to my heart the most.

Wes and I enjoyed dinner with the one couple from our church that was able to go to the retreat. We went to Provence, an upscale French restaurant in downtown Vancouver. The food there is delicious! We went there last year too, so maybe it's becoming a tradition? We'll have to see. We also enjoyed plenty of time alone, which really makes sense at a couple's retreat, don't you think?! I never thought of it in years past, but other retreats we've been to had us in sessions till late at night, then back for early-morning sessions the next day - where's the time to just be a couple and reconnect a little?

I came home Saturday afternoon and began cooking for our potluck dinner on Sunday. This has become a bit of tradition for our church family for Thanksgiving each year. I made a crockpot of soup and a chocolate sheet cake and called it good. We got all the plates and supplies ready Saturday night, and Wes and Andrew packed the car with everything that could go in early. It's a good thing we did it all on Saturday night, because I overslept Sunday morning! :) Everything still went smoothly, so planning and working ahead really paid off this weekend.

We had our usual church family for our services Sunday morning - no visitors. Everyone brought a little food for the potluck, and we had just enough. Our church members surprised Wes and me with a cake, roses, and a gift for our anniversary, which was Sunday. We had no idea that anything was planned; Beth had simply asked our song leader if he could pick up a cake for her, and he just ran with it. We were very surprised, and so grateful, for the love our people showed us on our anniversary! Each one wrote a sweet note in a card - what a joy to read that they love us and are praying for us. We had a short Thanksgiving service after dinner, and then we all went home for the day. Wes and I went out to eat Sunday night - our own private celebration of our anniversary - and then we were officially worn out from the weekend! LOL

Monday was Thanksgiving - still trying to adjust to its being in October after 4 years. A turkey was just too much for just our family, so I roasted a chicken and had sweet potatoes and green bean casserole with it. Dessert was leftover cake from the day before. We just relaxed around the house all day and really acted like bums.

So that catches you up with us after our whirlwind of a weekend. It was fun, but I'm glad every weekend isn't that busy! I hope you're all doing well this week. Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. Happy belated anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew....sounds like a fun yet so busy time....Happy Anniversary..ours is tomorrow...
    God is good...I am so thankful for my husband.
    ~deby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything sounds fun and relaxing. I dislike busy retreats too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that book by Jim Binney is one of the best ever on marriage.

    Sounds like a lovely retreat! A little time alone is a great thing.

    The potluck sounds fun. How sweet that the church remembered your anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that was a whirlwind!
    So glad you had a great time, sounds so fun!

    BTW, happy anniversary!!

    My bloglines isn't showing your new posts, hmm, don't know why.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin