Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Homeschool Memoirs #7: Snack Foods


This week's Homeschool Memoirs theme is Favorite Snacks! Yum! Here's the theme:
Awhile back Mother Dear received a question on what snack foods to buy for homeschooling families, on the go or at home, and she inspired this week’s theme. There are so many different kinds of snack foods, store-bought and homemade, and I would like to invite you to share what snack foods your family usually snacks on throughout the week. You’re welcome to make season lists too. I know there are different meals we eat during the colder seasons than we do in the warmer ones, and I imagine there are also seasonal snack foods as well.
We aren't huge snackers in our family, but we do like to have something to nibble on every now and then. Here's our list . . .

Apples with peanut butter
Chips and dip
Chips and salsa
Cheese and crackers
Peanut butter and saltines, graham crackers, or vanilla wafers
Pudding
Frozen chocolate chips (it's pitiful, I know!)
Popcorn
Yogurt
Nuts
Granola bars
Fruit - grapes, apples, oranges are our favorites
TimBits and coffee
Homemade cookies or coffee cake - Beth is our resident baker
Little Debbie cakes - oatmeal creme pies, lemon cake rolls, nutty bars (see how healthy we are?!)
Starbucks frappucino
Ice cream

Now that I see that list, maybe we're bigger snackers than I thought! ;) And did it just get worse and worse or what? LOL

Being diabetic, I occasionally need snacks, and if the sweets are in the house, I'm more likely to eat those than the yogurt, fruit, or nuts. My favorite good-for-me snack is the apple slices with natural peanut butter, and I keep a container of no-sugar-added ice cream whenever possible. I get teased a lot about my ice cream. I'm addicted to it. Everybody else eats whatever we have on hand at the moment.

To check out more Homeschool Memoir themes or to get more snack ideas from this week's theme, please visit The Homeschool Post.

6 comments:

  1. Susan, what are "timbits?"
    I love your cards, by the way. I wish I was creative enough to think of designs like that. I like stamping my own cards, but can only do it if I have a pattern to follow.
    Hey, I'm having a 100th post give away over on my blog. Come on over and toss your hat in the ring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starr, I answered the TimBits question on your blog, but I'll answer here too, in case anyone else is wondering. Timbits are donut holes - the little balls of dough left when you cut the middles out of donuts. I think the Dunkin Donuts ones are called Munchkins. Tim Horton's is THE donut shop of Canada - everybody loves Timmy's - and their donut holes are called Timbits.

    I have a hard time getting a design down on paper - I need lots of visual inspiration. I'm still pretty slow at it right now, but I love doing it more than any craft I've tried. Some of my Christmas cards have sold too - woohooo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew that! DUH! I've had them before. I just forgot. A funny story behind Tim Hortons... we were traveling in the UP one Summer, and dh got a hankering for Tim Hortons. He says, "I believe there is a Tim Hortons 'just over the border.'" We ended up driving almost an hour into Canada before we found one! LOL We still tease him about it today. The further he drove, the more committed he became to finding one! By the time we finally rolled in, we were all starving for LUNCH, not coffee or a donut! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim Horton's is good - I LOVE their coffee - but it reminds me of Dunkin Donuts a lot. Tim's also sells breakfast and lunch stuff now, so you can take your long trip into Canada again and get more than a donut and coffee! ;) But come do it on this end of Canada and come see me. I'm just an hour in, and there's a Tim's just down the road a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Timbits. We can't get them here. :) Thanks for sharing your snack foods with us.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, if frozen chocolate chips is a bad snack, then I guess we're bad snackers too. We eat them frequently. In fact, I just finished eating a few, lol!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin