Saturday, August 16, 2008

You Know You're a True Texan When . . .

Texas Flag Painted on Barn Roof, Austin, Texas by Richard Cummins
Texas Flag Painted on Barn Roof, Austin, Texas


Originally posted on September 8, 2006

I saw this at Be Not Conformed, and I just couldn't resist posting it! LOL Although I'm not a native Texan, I can identify with most of these statements after living in Texas for 14 years and raising all three of my children as Texans (only two of them were actually born in Texas, though). I've marked the ones that I've found true in bold letters! ;)

*You can properly pronounce Corsicana, Ennis, Waxahachie, Palestine, Decatur, Wichita Falls, San Antonio, Waco, and Amarillo.

*A tornado warning siren is your signal to go out in the yard and look for a funnel.

*You've ever had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.

*You know that the true value of a parking space is not determined by the distance to the door, but by the availability of shade.

*You measure distance in minutes.

*You listen to the weather forecast before picking out an outfit.

*You know cowpies are not made of beef.

*Someone you know has used a football schedule to plan their wedding date.

*You have known someone who has had one belt buckle bigger than your fist.

*You aren't surprised to find movie rental, ammunition, and bait all in the same store.

*A Mercedes Benz is not a status symbol. A Chevy 3500 4x4 is.

*You know everything goes better with Ranch.

*You actually get these jokes and are "fixin' " to send them to your friends.

*You go to the river/lake because you think it is like going to the ocean.

*Your family pet is the stray dog with one leg that came limping up to your door.

*Finally, you are 100% Texan if you have ever heard this conversation:

"You wanna coke?"
"Yeah."
"What kind?"
"Dr. Pepper."


We especially identify with that last one! Even in SC, we called every carbonated beverage a Coke. Mama would identify an actual Coke by calling it a Co-Cola; everything else was a Coke. You do understand the difference, don't you?! Although this gal has been taken out of the South (very willingly I might add), the South has yet to be taken out of this gal. "Y'all" still rolls right off my tongue without my even realizing it. I get lots of teasing up here about that one!

8 comments:

  1. A lot of these sound like N.C.! Around here all sodas are called "drinks" We would want a drink and a nab. or a small coke and put peanuts in it. Do you know what a nab is? I bet you do since you have S.C. roots. Its not really a nab unless its made by Lance. I call them orange nabs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do know what a nab is, but only because I'm married to a North Carolinian! His family is from the Winston-Salem area (actually they say Winston and leave out Salem), and his grandparents have a "pack o' nabs" quite often. I had never heard of nabs till I met his grandparents, though.

    My dad used to put peanuts in his Pepsi, in the tall, skinny bottles - long time ago. And my mama loved those little Cokes - diabetic though she was. Diet Coke didn't come on the scene till after she died - the only diet drink till then was Tab, and it was horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They call them Co-cola's around here too (on the state line near Charlotte). For this midwest-girl-turned-southerner - I have to admit it drives me nuts. If someone asks if I want a Coke, the very first thought is that familiar red and white bottle.

    Oh well, right? I really do love it here. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I learned all kinds of different ways to call soda while I was in college. We had girls from a few different states in our room. One called it "pop". One called it "coke". They thought I was weird calling it soda.

    Those were pretty funny, especially since I have a few good friends from the south.

    We got booted off the internet for a while! It sure is good to be back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are good. I have a friend in Texas I'll have to send these to.

    In these parts everything is just "drink" or like your mama, we do say co-cola for coke. lol

    ~Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a TRUE Texan!!! Yeah! I was not born in Texan but we moved here when I was 7 and two of my three children were born here and all three are being raised here. The Coke thing is so true. And yes, when parking I look for the shade.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so funny! Thanks for sharing. My brother is a Michigan transplant and has lived in the San Antonio area for the last 25 years. I just love his accent:)

    Take Care,

    Trixie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melody, I know how it is. There are things people say here that drive me crazy too! LOL

    Sarah, I'm glad you're back online. It's funny how different parts of the same country can be so different.

    Kristi, I think "drink" is what we called sodas the most, actually. But here lately, for some reason, I've begun to refer to them as Cokes again. Have no idea why! LOL

    Margaret, we don't claim to be Texans really, but we do have two kids that are true Texans, born in Ft. Worth. They still love Texas, but I don't miss that heat a bit.

    Trixie, my brother-in-law is from Mass., moved down south and married my sister. Now he has plenty of southern mixed in with his accent. Yay! ;) People say they love to hear a southern accent. I hope it's true, 'cause mine's not going away.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin