Saturday, August 02, 2008

Vacation Slump

Dog Tired (Yellow Lab) by Barbara Shipman
Dog Tired (Yellow Lab)

My husband was the assistant pastor for our home church in Texas for over six years. During those years, we went through a time every summer when attendance and giving would drop significantly. Our pastor called it Summer Slump. People were on vacation and routines were unsettled. All we could do was wait for summer to be over and people to get back into their regular routines, and life would go back to normal.

Something similar happens to me whenever we take any kind of vacation, even a short one like this week's. I hit Vacation Slump. I do well immediately after we get home, like I did Thursday night, putting everything away so we're ready to live real life again the next day. But real life always runs the other way - or maybe that's ME running the other way. All I want to do is sleep and eat. I don't want to cook or wash dishes (can't we just keep eating out?); I don't want to do laundry (can't you people quit wearing all those clothes?); I don't want to do anything (doesn't a nap sound nice?). It's bad. Real bad.

So I thought I'd ask if you deal with Vacation Slump when you get home from a trip. How do you motivate yourself - and your kids - to pick up with everyday life and get back into your routines? I'd love to hear how you do it!

6 comments:

  1. YES...it passes...
    be easy on yourself...first one step and then another..
    ~~Deby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this problem, too. I focus on laundry and then make a list of priorities. After a couple of days of being back in the routine, things seem "normal". :)

    Blessings,
    Mrs. C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, sounds like you're doing better than I do! It seems like we always get home late, late, late at night (or early in the morning depending on how you look at it), so we crash into bed and then it takes me several days to get the suitcases unpacked! I think easing back into your routine is the best, and just remind yourself that traveling is tiring, so give yourself a little break. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I'm the same way. Right when we get back, I'm full of energy, getting suitcases unpacked, the washer started, etc. But the next day or even for a few days I am very tired -- even when the vacation itself was restful. I give myself a little while to get some extra sleep or just have some down time to recuperate and change gears, then just get back in and start doing things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to have Vacation Slump! I was afraid it was just my natural laziness creeping in (which plays a part, I'm sure), but maybe it's also natural to have a hard time getting back to routine.

    Deby, I have done very little work today. I'm treading water till Monday, when I have to get back to business.

    Mrs. C, maybe I need to make a list. On paper. I had one in my head, but strangely, I can't recall what was on it! ;) I know the value of a list on paper, though, so I am without excuse on that point.

    Tammy, I am not so full of energy when we get in late - or early, as the case may be. There are still times when a suitcase will take me days, but most of the time I get them unpacked pretty quick. And why does traveling make a person so tired??? All I do is sit, sit, sit - and I am exhausted when I get home!

    Barbara, I sleep a lot after vacations too, even when we had a lot of time to relax. Beth and I both fell asleep on the couch last night, her head in my lap and mine propped on my arm, which was laying across her back. We must have been a sight! Anyway, I've given myself till Monday . . . although Wes invited friends over for burgers after church tomorrow night. I think I'll just say "excuse the mess, please" and just enjoy their company.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I struggle with this too! Thanks for posting this, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin