Saturday, August 09, 2008

Friend Day is Almost Here!

We're busy busy today getting ready for Friend Day tomorrow! I got up and made a list of every single thing I could think of that needed to be done today, then I marked the ones that could be delegated to either Beth or Wes (as he has time), so that I could focus on just what I needed to do. Beth and I have been working for about 3 hours, and we have most of the food ready for tomorrow, other than things that can only be done at the last minute, and almost all of our dinner for the tour group is ready for this evening.

I had a bit of a brainstorm with that to-do list! LOL I've always made lists of things to be done, then just jumped in with both feet. I'd be knee-deep in cooking or cleaning when someone would come along wanting to help, but I didn't know what to tell them to do off the top of my head. I would get frustrated at having to stop and think about what they could do, which would come across as a short temper, which would make the person decide to move on and just let me be. My detailed, delegated list was a huge help with that. Beth joined me in the kitchen, and I pointed out all the things she could do to help, and she chose something and jumped in. We have worked together all morning and so far everything has gone so well. So when you have a lot to do, write down everything - even down to tiny details like chopping lettuce or putting clean towels in the guest bath - mark everything someone else can do, and then you can concentrate on the things that truly only you can do. Maybe everyone else already knew this, but it was a major "Aha!" moment for me!

The guys are due in this afternoon. The chaperon's wife was able to join him for the group's week in Canada, so I'm looking forward to meeting her and having another lady around to fellowship with. Wes has the afternoon planned for the boys - a little sightseeing - and then we'll grill kabobs and have dinner. Our one other teen is coming over to spend some time with Sam and the guys, and then 2 or 3 of the guys are spending the night at his family's house. Sam is staying here. I'm letting a few of the other guys stay too. ;)

Tomorrow is our big day. We've all been working and praying and inviting people to come, and we have an ad in the local paper. Please pray for our little church tonight and tomorrow if the Lord brings us to mind. I hope to have lots of pictures to share with you next week! Thanks for being interested in our church and family and for stopping by here to read!

4 comments:

  1. Praying for your Big Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:25 PM

    I was surprised to see your post this afternoon considering all that you had going on this week end. It sounds like you have your hands full and will soon have your house full. May this weekend be a blessing to you as you continue to bless so many others. v from Idaho

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did it go?!
    We just celebrated our church's 18th anniversary yesterday...although it's just under 7 years for our family here. It was a great day...but very long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your prayers, Mrs. C!!! Everything went great!

    V - I posted during a short break, but that was all my computer time that day. The group arrived shortly after that post, and it was all about them from there.

    Deborah, everything was great! I plan to write more and share pics tomorrow. Big days are really long - we were tuckered out when all was said and done yesterday! I hope your day went well too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin