Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Another Year!

I love the beginning of another school year! I also love Christmas Break, Spring Break, and the end of another school year! I like to share what curriculum we're using each year. We're still using Switched-On Schoolhouse for several subjects. Math and Bible are always something other than SOS, and we don't always use it for electives either. So here's what we're using for each child this year:

Andrew - Senior

Bible - Bible Baptist Publications, Landmarks of Baptist Doctrine, Books III and IV
English - Switched-On Schoolhouse Grade 12
Science - Switched-On Schoolhouse Grade 11 (Chemistry) - 1/2 unit from last year
Math - Alpha-Omega Consumer Math
American Sign Language - undecided - we had one in mind, ordered it, didn't like it, sending it back - if anyone has any suggestions, we're listening
Speech - Alpha-Omega Essentials of Communication - second semester

I have a small unit for Andrew on writing a research paper, because we were rushed at the end of last year when it came up in his English course. I've stretched it out over 2 months, so it should only take a little time each week in addition to his regular English.

Beth - Sophomore

Bible - Landmark's Freedom Baptist Curriculum - Inspiration of the Scriptures
English - SOS Grade 10
History - SOS Grade 10 - World History
Science - SOS Grade 10 - Biology
Math - Saxon Algebra I
Home Economics - SOS Home Ec
Health - SOS High School Health - first semester
College Planner - SOS - second semester

I'd like to do a weekly wrap-up of our schooling this year. I'm not quite sure what that will look like yet, or if it will even materialize - just an idea. We aren't super-schoolers; we just do the work and live, not always in that order.

If you homeschool, have you started your year already? Are you structured or relaxed in your schooling? Structured curriculum or not? Do you use a schedule? Got any tips for the rest of us?

3 comments:

  1. Hi ☺
    Deby at Apples of Gold said I would enjoy your blog, so here I am. I think I've visited you in the past but it has been a while.

    My daughter homeschools my grandchildren. I admire her and others that do this.

    I hope you and yours have a lovely school year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Tammy! I'm so glad you decided to come by again. I hope your daughter has a good year as well, and thank you for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we have started with Algebra and English. The rest of our books are on the container. So we wait!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin