Saturday, June 07, 2008

This and That

Good morning! After an entire week of rain and chill, the sun is shining (between breaks in the clouds, anyway) and the temps are supposed to warm up into the 60s. When I lived in Texas, most days were sunny. Now, in Vancouver, we have rain for a good portion of the year, so I don't see the sun often. So yesterday, when the clouds broke and the sun came peeking out, I just turned up my face and drank it in! I'm far from a sun-lover (my skin is too fair for that!), but I have definitely learned to appreciate it when it's shining.

Speaking of the sun, our son Andrew is having to adjust to some pretty hot temperatures. One day this week he worked in a newly-insulated attic installing can lights (I think that's what they're called) in the ceiling. In 97-degree heat! He has gone from hardly ever drinking water to sucking it down! LOL He's spending weekends with my parents this summer. I'm glad for that, because none of our children have ever had the opportunity to really spend time with any of their grandparents, because we've always lived far away from all of our family. My boy will get to know my parents first-hand, rather than through the stories of my childhood and the short visits we've been able to make during his childhood. Thank you, Mother and Daddy, for letting him stay with you each weekend. I hope all your hearts will knit together this summer!

Wes and I went to Bread Garden last night for a quick sandwich. I had a grilled chicken sandwich with red peppers, spinach, and chipotle mayo. Wes had a calzone. We ended up sharing the two meals, each of us having a little of the other's sandwich. We've actually shared one meal recently, something we never thought we'd do! LOL We sat in the restaurant and talked for about an hour. Even though we're together all the time, or maybe because we're together all the time, we need these short periods of time that we're alone and can just unwind together. It helps us reconnect with each other.

We don't always go out to have a date. There are times we've had no money or desire to go out. That's when I make something for just the two of us (Wes' favorite is burgers!) and we watch a video or play a game. Sometimes we just take a walk. One of my favorite things is to walk along the sea wall in West Vancouver, overlooking the water, Lions Gate Bridge, and Stanley Park. I would have loved that last night, but it was still too cold! LOL A date doesn't have to cost one cent to be enjoyable; it's the time spent together that matters.

I don't know how I found TipNut, but when I did, I subscribed to it using Bloglines, and I've loved it ever since. Every few days, theres' something on there that I just love, and today was one of those days. It's 10 Clever Dish Towel Crafts. These aren't just those cutesy little nonsense crafts; these are real things you can do with dish towels! One that I want to do is Martha Stewart's Sewing Machine Cover. It's simple and easy to do in a short amount of time. I even know where to find inexpensive dish towels.

We have a busy week planned for next week. I'll tell you more about that on Monday's Simple Woman's Daybook. Today I need to get my color sheets ready and plan my class for Sunday school. We'll go out and do some church literature distribution in the early afternoon, and I also need to do some ironing, my favorite thing - not! I've spent most of the morning reading blogs, so now I have to get up and get busy. I hope you all have a great weekend!

6 comments:

  1. We will take some of the rain!! My garden needs it. I am watering every 3 days with the soaker hose but as you know in Texas by late afternoon plants still look droopy.

    Glad you and Wes had fun. Scott and I spent today together while the kids went with my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been really hot here in Texas and the sun is shining bright. We need some rain and got a little Thursday but that was it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh..it is rainy season here in Japan we like, but we sure don't need any more of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited to find your blog...I used to go to your home church....not for very long though..We only lived in Fort Worth for a short period. Anyhow, I'm very excited to see you...I have a son named Samuel as well...Blessings to you and your family, and hope that all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Margaret, I so remember how it was down there in the summer! I don't envy you, that's for sure. Hope you all get some rain soon.

    Theresa, like I said above, I know how bad it gets down there. Seems like when it does rain, it's never enough - except when it's flooding. Always either feast or famine!

    Heather, how about almost year round rainy season? LOL

    Liz - I'm so glad to meet you! When did you attend our home church? Should I know you?!! Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you'll come back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love some of those dish towel crafts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin